We had some feedback from teaching staff that they worry about what will happen in different circumstances when posting announcements e.g. will an email be sent if I edit the announcement, what happens if I make the announcement appear in future etc.
So I've started to try to address all the possible combinations of announcement concerns on our guidance page at How to Add A Blackboard Course Announcement – eLearning Support and Resources :
So far I've got:
- by default when you post an announcement on a course that is available to students, all users (instructors/teaching assistants/students) on the course will receive an email containing the announcement. The email will appear to come from an automated account. The email will be sent within an hour of you posting the announcement.
- Users may opt out of receiving such emails by changing their notification settings.
- If an announcement is really important and you wish to override anyone's preference to not receive announcement emails you can choose "send a copy immediately". This will send the announcement email to all course users regardless of the preference they set in their notification settings. The email will appear to come from you.
- if you set the announcement to appear in the future, the email notifications should be sent on or just after the time you set the announcement to appear.
- if you set the announcement to appear in the future, email notifications will be sent only to students who were on the course when the announcement was created, not when the announcement was set to be released.
- Blackboard will not allow you to set an announcement to appear in the future and tick the box to send it immediately. If you try this, you will receive an error message.
- if you create an announcement on a course that is not available to students and tick "send a copy of this announcement immediately" the announcement email will be sent immediately to all users on the course even though the course is not available.
- if you create an announcement on a course that is not available to students and do not tick "send a copy of this announcement immediately" then no email is sent. When the course is made available later no email is sent for that announcement either.
- if you modify an announcement and "Send a copy of this announcement" is ticked an email will be sent to all users containing your announcement text.
- if you modify an announcement and "Send a copy of this announcement" is not ticked then no announcement email will be sent.
Anything to add, or see any mistakes?