wweichel

Learn's Social Learning Tools, Cloud Profile no longer available 31 Dec 2019

Discussion created by wweichel on Jul 16, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2019 by eric.kunnen

Effective December 31, 2019, the Social Learning Tools and Cloud Profile features of Blackboard Learn will no longer be available.

As a part of our commitment to delivering a Learning Management System of the highest quality, feature areas are periodically evaluated to determine their suitability to support our clients' academic goals. Recently, this evaluation was made of the Social Learning Tools and Cloud Profiles. As a result of this evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to remove this functionality within the Learn product. In an effort to provide the longest transition period possible for institutions utilizing this feature, we have set December 31, 2019 as the official discontinue date. This bulletin is a reminder--these changes were previously announced in a December 2018 support bulletin and added to the Help site.

When will the Social Learning Tools no longer be available? 

Effective December 31, 2019, the Social Learning Tools and Cloud Profile features inside the Blackboard Learn LMS will no longer be available to users. 
  
When will support for Blackboard Social Learning Tools end? 

Support for the Social Learning Tools and Cloud Profile features will end in concurrence with the discontinue date on December 31, 2019. 

What is meant by, “the Social Learning Tools”? 

The Social Learning Tools functionality inside of Learn consists of a set of tools that can be enabled on a user’s "My Blackboard" page such as the following:

• Enhanced Cloud Profile add personal information about experiences, skills, projects, and accomplishments
  • My Learning Network – create a network of connections with people inside and outside the institution
  • Social Messaging – send a message to another person inside or outside the institution; not related to the Course Messages feature
  • My Spaces – create, discover, and join groups of users inside or outside the institution
  • Following – follow another user or space in the Social Learning Tools

How can I determine if these features are on in my environment?

An administrator must enable these tools; they are not made available by default. You can determine if they are enabled in the Admin Panel > Cloud Profiles and Tools.

What actions should I take at my institution?

The setup process for the Social Tools, which required each user to create an account with an email address, did not include authorization for use of the email address for communications in the terms of use that was presented at the time. Given regulations that now exist in various jurisdictions, we cannot use this list to communicate via email information about the end of these services.

We ask that if these features are used at your institution, please use available communication channels to your user community about the discontinuation of these services.

We've enabled the Ultra Base Navigation in our environment. Are we impacted?

No. These features are not available when the Ultra Base Navigation has been enabled, so your users no longer have access to them.

What are other options for current users of the Social Learning Tools or Enhanced Cloud Profile features? 

While there are several social learning tools in the market today along with solutions for personal portfolios, Blackboard does not promote or endorse any solution. We are encouraged that there are options on the market that will fit your needs.

What if I have further questions?

We will continue to share timely information and further details over the course of the year.  Please reach out to Client Support or your Account Manager with any questions or concerns. You can also post your questions here in this discussion.

Outcomes