troutv

Ultra Course Cards Delete/Replace Banners?

Discussion created by troutv on Jun 7, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2019 by troutv

*We are still using original course view.  But the Ultra navigation.

From what I am seeing if you change your new Course Card image it replaces your banner image, normally changed in Learning Styles.  Once you change one the other changes, these images are linked.  Can anyone else confirm that their course is working this way? 

I discovered it when uploading a high resolution file as a course card in my test course. I mean, it said anything larger than 1200x300 was fine so why not a lovely photo I took.  It looked great as the card, shrank down perfectly, but when I opened my course I found the full sized image on my landing page, and I do mean full.  I had to scroll quite a ways to just get past the image and it looked horrific. I went to change my banner image back, I had to re-upload my banner only to find that it changed the card image too.

Personally I think the banner and the course card should serve two very different purposes.  I would love the course card to just be an image with no text, something that relates to the course.  But at my University our instructors often have banners with some course information on them.  Their name, email, maybe a photo of the instructor and name of the course.  I feel like these images serve two different purposes.  Why can't they be two different images?

Also where are the warnings that if you change one image the other will be replaced?  I had no idea this would happen, it is not discussed anywhere that I can find that the image you upload becomes your new banner.  It isn't a huge problem, but seems like a big oversight and a lot of headaches when instructors realize their banner is gone.  Trying to confirm this is working the same way for others, and maybe provide a warning so everyone can fully understand what changing that image means.

My best workaround right now is to tell my instructors not to change anything.  If Blackboard won't make these two separate images we're going to have to come up with a creative new solution that works for both places. 

Outcomes