knight.jonathan

Q2 2019 upgrade

Discussion created by knight.jonathan on Jun 3, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 27, 2019 by mdeeprose

I have a window to update Blackboard on our self-hosted environment on the 20 July 2019.

I've always upgraded to the latest edition of Blackboard Learn on that day and it's been very straight forward and I've presented a few times on how I approach doing this kind of upgrade at various BbWorld, TLC and user group events.

This year will be different.  Normally I complete my highly optimised testing (about 2 days) and then run the installer.  Those of you who've heard me present on my upgrade technique will know that I can usually do a full upgrade in under an hour, with a CU taking about 25 minutes.

This year the requirements for Blackboard have changed, so there's a lot more to do and I think I'll need to book a little more downtime.  However, the 20th of July is still the date so with around 7 weeks until we go live it's time to get a move on.  So here's the list of changes:

• Move from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7 for the app nodes
  • Same for the DB server
  • Move from Oracle 12.1 to Oracle 12.2 for the database
  • Consider migrating to OpenJDK 8
  • Upgrade from Learn Q2 2018 to Q2 2019
  • Re-write the start up and shutdown scripts for systemd
  • Re-work the firewall settings for firewalld

So the first step is to build out my test system and see what happens.  I'll post updates as I work through the exciting challenges.

Outcomes