I have a window to update Blackboard on our self-hosted environment on the 20 July 2019.
I've always upgraded to the latest edition of Blackboard Learn on that day and it's been very straight forward and I've presented a few times on how I approach doing this kind of upgrade at various BbWorld, TLC and user group events.
This year will be different. Normally I complete my highly optimised testing (about 2 days) and then run the installer. Those of you who've heard me present on my upgrade technique will know that I can usually do a full upgrade in under an hour, with a CU taking about 25 minutes.
This year the requirements for Blackboard have changed, so there's a lot more to do and I think I'll need to book a little more downtime. However, the 20th of July is still the date so with around 7 weeks until we go live it's time to get a move on. So here's the list of changes:
- Move from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7 for the app nodes
- Same for the DB server
- Move from Oracle 12.1 to Oracle 12.2 for the database
- Consider migrating to OpenJDK 8
- Upgrade from Learn Q2 2018 to Q2 2019
- Re-write the start up and shutdown scripts for systemd
- Re-work the firewall settings for firewalld
So the first step is to build out my test system and see what happens. I'll post updates as I work through the exciting challenges.