sheftom

Overdue Notifications from Turnitin assignments

Discussion created by sheftom on May 28, 2019
Latest reply on Jun 11, 2019 by hl0047930

Since we moved to SaaS a couple of months ago we have noticed a steady increase of students saying they have received overdue notifications from their Blackboard daily digest emails when its not relevant to them.

Most of these are from Turnitin links, which stands to reason as its our primary EMA system.

We believe this is happening where courses have more than one Turnitin links but students are only required to submit to one, in which case you can see the logic as to why the notification is triggered. I'm struggling to replicate this consistently though and finding it hard what is causing the notification to trigger from the Grade centre i.e. is it when the column becomes visible or when the due date passes on the column, regardless of whether its hidden or not.

A couple of things have made this more visible from a students perspective:

• Since we moved to SaaS, the email digests are much more simplistic and basically look nicer, meaning students seem to be taking more notice of them
  • The upgrade to Turnitin basic building block post 2.7.4 meant that due dates from Turnitin now pull into the Grade Centre due date field, so the notifications from Blackboard can actually now happen.

I wondered if others had encountered these issues and whether anybody had thought of any workarounds. Turnitin have told us you can't limit the notifications with an adaptive release on the submission link.

I think some of this is legacy poor practice, but theres some instances where staff do come up with workflows to overcome shortfalls of Turnitin, such as double blind marking.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone thats encountered similar problems.

Outcomes