grd46965

Trying to set up a multipart question in a test

Discussion created by grd46965 on Mar 22, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 8, 2019 by steinarh

Thanks again for all the help provided on other issues, it's been of great assistance.  Unfortunately, you've inspired me to push my boundaries further :-)

I know that I can create tests in Bb, and I can set up pools to randomize questions as needed.  However, I'm wanting to test on multistep math problems.  So, my vision for that is:

• Student opens a question, and reads the scenario.  A numeric formula question appears concerning the first step of the process, and they can enter an answer.
  • I can specify a range on the "correctness" of the answer, and I should be able to show instantly if they got it right or wrong.
  • If they get it right, I'd like to move on to the next part of the multipart question with a new numeric formula question.  If they get it wrong, I'd like for them to be able to repeat the first part (and specify how many attempts they get).  If they give up on the repetition, the system should provide the correct number so they can proceed from the right point for the next step.

...Ideally, I'd also like the ability to skip a question for now and come back around later.

Put another way, the test might look like:

1a, 1b, 1c

2a, 2b, 2c, 2d

4a, 4b

The student looks at 1a, decides it's too hard for the moment, and proceeds to 2a.  They take two tries to get 2a right, but cleanly proceed through 2b, 2c, and 2d.  They then try 3, but blow through all their attempts without getting it correct.  They finish out 4a, and 4b within the allotted tries, and come back at the end and complete 1a, 1b, and 1c.

I suspect I'm dreaming, or this involves some serious (but describable?) black magic...  Any initial thoughts before I start asking how to put this into a pool structure?

Thanks again for all your help!

-Doc

Outcomes