Q2 2018 CU6 ( 3400.6) introduced a new bug where newly created assignments will have NULL position values by default.
Position numbers can be updated via a DB query (Open a ticket with Managed Hosting to fix this individually).
I used this query to identify which courses and assignments/content are affected:
WHEN cc.folder_ind = 'Y' THEN 'Folder'
ELSE 'Content Item'
END as Type,
cc.pk1 AS "Content PK1",
FROM course_main cm
INNER JOIN course_contents cc ON cc.crsmain_pk1 = cm.pk1
WHERE cm.course_id LIKE '%'
AND cc.position IS NULL
-- AND TIMESTAMP between to_date('07/01/2016 00:00:00','mm/dd/yyyy HH24:MI:SS') AND to_date('09/30/2016 23:59:59','mm/dd/yyyy HH24:MI:SS')
-- ORDER BY cc.pk1, cc.PARENT_PK1
ORDER BY cc.dtcreated
I did come up with this workaround:
1. Add the assignment to a content folder.
2. Move it to another folder
3. Move it back to the folder where you really want it.
The move process gives it a position number, and it can be re-arranged on the page.