Is there a way to change the colors and images in the New Coursesites as there was in the Original course sites? So far I don't like the visuals.
Completely agree. The new visual is bleh. Where are my blue buttons?
Where would you like to add an image? Are you wanting to change icons used for system and course navigation or add an image to provide visual aids for your course content? What are you wanting to accomplish?
In my case, I used to customize the buttons on the left hand menu. I lost that ability with the last update.
Herbert M. Chain | Assistant Professor and Executive Director, Center for Executive Education | St. John's University | 305 Tobin | (M) 917.680.8040 | (O) 718.990.3974 l email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> | http://www.linkedin.com/in/herbchain
So, we've purposely removed the option for instructors to change system and course navigation elements to ensure a consistent and more accessible user experience on CourseSites (not true for all Blackboard implementations). Our user research team found that users with cognitive and visual impairments had difficulty navigating courses when each course had different looking buttons, icons, etc.. With that said, we understand the desire for personalization and we plan on adding personalization options in the future with accessibility in mind.
For example, an instructor may want a specific color associated with a course to be able to quickly tell two sections apart, the instructor would be able to choose a color from a predefined list of colors that are accessible within the current context. The instructor doesn't have to worry about accessibility issues and the students benefit from a consistent look and feel that is accessible.
Thanks. Understand now the motivation for the change. Look forward to the ability to personalize being returned.
Hi Jake! Has any of your research been shared? I'd be really interested to read more about this. Thanks.
I'll check with our design team and see what we have available. We normally post the results of our research with the community and across social media.
Well, this is a bummer... Our design team doesn't have anything that is ready for distribution related to Blackboard Learn Ultra and the way they've designed it for accessibility. I've put in a request for them to create something as I think it would be helpful and meaningful to the community.
Also, we do have other resources related to Accessibility that you might find interesting:https://help.blackboard.com/Ally/Ally_for_LMS/Administrator/Communication_and_Adoption_Toolkit/Community_Stories
Thanks for getting back to me, Jake. I'll check out the other resources :-)
Yes, I would like to follow that research as well. I assumed it was so the platform could be used on a mobile device. I use this version of Blackboard as an independent instructor so I actually moved to Canvas. It isn't as nice as the old coursesites, but it is more flexible than this current version.
I replied at the end of the comments.
I had an image on each folder that related to the tasks. I have a visual learning disability and having things look all the same makes if very hard for me to differentiate. I have to color code excel sheets. I need color or images to place find.
I shared your post with our Product Accessibility Manager and she suggested using numbered lists and sublists as a workaround. Another option would be to add symbols or keywords as a prefix to your course content titles. The benefit would not only be a way to visually separate different types of content, but provide a quick method to search through your content. For example, if you added a keyword as a prefix to a specific section of content, it would allow you to search for those items easier by searching for that prefix.
Now, she understands that every learning disability is different. So, this may not work for you. With that said, I'm going to bring this up to our design team in the next couple of weeks and see what they have planned around accessibility. We have a scheduled working session coming up.
I hope the above workaround is helpful until we can get a better solution in place.
Retrieving data ...