dhogsette

Creating Letter Grade Columns in Grade Book

Discussion created by dhogsette on Aug 14, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 by brad.evans

Has anyone figured out how to create a grade column that accepts letter grades? I want to create a "Course Grade" column in which I can manually assign the final course grade for each student. The old system allowed for this, but I can't seem to do so in the new Ultra system.

I created a new grade column item, and I selected Letter as the grade mode. However, when I try to insert a letter grade, the system won't allow me. It still wants me to insert a numerical grade, out of 100 points. The letter grade feature doesn't seem to be working, or I'm doing something wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: I am using the Overall Grade feature, but sometimes students are just shy of the next grade up, and I sometimes bump them up. But, there's no way to do that with the Overall Grade feature. Also, given the complexities and number of graded assignments, the weighted values of each assignment are not exact. When I try to use decimal percentages for the weighted values, the system gets messed up and says the total must be 100%, when it is 100%. But for some reason, the system calculates the total as 100.0000000000000000000001%. I'm not kidding. So, I have to approximate or round up and round down on the percentages to within 0.5. But, the final automatic grade assigned is not always correct. All this to say--please allow us to create a grade column that is truly a letter grade that we can manually input. That feature is not working at the moment.

Thanks,

David

Outcomes