smachaje

BbWorld18, what did you learn?  Share please!

Discussion created by smachaje on Jul 20, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 10, 2018 by smachaje

Please share one thing you learned at BbWorld18.

I learned about something I sort of knew about, but never seriously considered before: template variables and blackboard_hacks to build course agreement.  So, this is why it's cool.  When people are asked to agree to rules, they are more likely to follow them.  Academic integrity is a problem, so reminding students about it, as well as about copyright, is of benefit.

The trick uses Mark Review with JS/CSS hacks from blackboard_hacks to create the orange button with custom text.  It them uses the first name/last name template variable to show student name in the item.  You can further use adaptive release to hide the entire course, until the agreement was completed.

Thanks Dan Hillman and Andrew Abrahamson for the Adapt Learn Automatically with Template Variables session.

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 9.11.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 9.12.07 AM.png

I adjusted the text to say "Click here to confirm your agreement" and then "I agree" after it's done.  If you like it, just put this magic code in the HTML portion of any Content Item and then enable Mark Review status.  You have to preview your course as a student to see the effects.

Or copy and paste from github: https://github.com/smachaje/blackboard_hacks/blob/gh-pages/generic/reviewStatusGeneric/CourseAgreement.js

Outcomes