jbehnke@fdu.edu

Content editor HTML vs. PDF?

Discussion created by jbehnke@fdu.edu on Jun 15, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 by jbehnke@fdu.edu

I have been working on updating a large number of online courses and am trying to be consistent from one course to another with regards to the general organization and the format that I use to post instructional content.

I am currently posting most course content (e.g. instructional units, faculty "lecture notes") as accessible HTML using the Content Editor.  "Copying and pasting" from accessible MS Word docs using standard headings and "normal" text  helps the content creation process, but I'm finding that relying primarily on the Blackboard Content Editor to post materials in the course shell as HTML is a time relatively consuming process.  I am concerned that, despite training, some faculty may find maintaining these courses too technically challenging.  Many faculty  have been posting their entire courses as MS word docs.

I have considered an alternative model wherein the majority of the course content is created in MS Word, made accessible using the MS Word accessibility checker, converted to PDF, and posted as PDF files.  I don't think that PDF is as good of a medium for posting Web-based instructional content, but I would like to know what other Blackboard designers think; how do you / your faculty post the majority of your online content?  PDF or HTML?  What are the pros and cons of each? 

Jim Behnke

Petrocelli College, Fairleigh Dickinson University

Outcomes