AnsweredAssumed Answered

Tomcat trowing An invalid Lifecycle transition

Question asked by sarahjohns388 on Mar 16, 2018

Hello Experts,

Myself SarahJohn(call me as Sarah), I am very new to this site, You guys need to help me on this question go through it!

I just installed Blackboard 9.1 on my Ubuntu 14.04

Everything seems to work. I install the CAS authentication module. restart tomcat and everything works fine.

However, when I restart my computer... Like the next day when I come into work, Blackboard wont start. I get this error:

SEVERE: The required Server component failed to start so Tomcat is unable to start.
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: An invalid Lifecycle transition was attempted ([before_start]) for component [StandardServer[8005]] in state [INITIALIZING]
  at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.invalidTransition(LifecycleBase.java:409)
  at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:144)
  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:689)
  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
  at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:321)
  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:455)

What is causing this error? How do I fix this? I assume that because this happens at a system restart, that the install process does something (set an environment var maybe?) that is not done when I start up.

I have wiped Oracle PL SQL and reinstalled BB, and it works again! but the next day... It does not start up again.

Any hints as to where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah

Outcomes