AnsweredAssumed Answered

Encouraging Students to Use Course Messages and Discussion Forum Posts vs. Emails

Question asked by regennia on Jan 15, 2018
Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 by drt

Dear Colleages,

I am trying to encourage students to use the Blackboard course messages tool and discussion forum posts to share general concerns about our online class.  I am finding, however, that many prefer to send external emails to my university account, where they often end up in my ”Clutter” folder—especially when large numbers of students respond with questions about my “Announcement“ messages, even though these are “DO NOT REPLY“ messages— and they don’t change the subject line.

My belief Is that the discussion posts will help students learn from their peers and the instructor and using the course messages tool will certainly prevent the email  “Clutter” problems, make couse management easier by keeping all correspondence  in one mailbox.

I had an instructor in grad school who refused to respond to course-related messages that were sent to his university email address,  but I am not sure that is the way to go.

Is there a way to adjust Blackboard preferences and prevent responses to group emails? Any thoughts on how to encourage more public forum posts regarding general concerns?

Thank you.

Regennia N. Williams

Cleveland State University

Outcomes