hs0041430

Institutional Hierarchy vs. Domains

Discussion created by hs0041430 on Nov 6, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 by bh25699

Self-Hosted: Bb 9.1 Q4 2015 CU1 --> upgrading to Bb 9.1 Q2 2017 CU3

Hello All,

We are in the process of rebuilding our self-hosted Bb environment and upgrading as noted above. In doing so, we are looking at doing more to leverage Community Engagement. We have taken the Bb trainings which included brands & themes, domains & institutional hierarchies, etc. I have also been reviewing posts here. Despite all of that, I still go back and forth about domains or hierarchies. I was hoping folks have some feedback because I feel like I'm doing the Princess Bride Vizzini thing "I can clearly not choose the [... in front of me.... in front of you... etc.]."

• No need to limit tools (so, no to IH)
  • Tabs & modules for different schools with minimal branding (yes to domains?)
  • Tabs & modules Admin for different schools (yes to domains & IH?)
  • All users login with the same URL (no need for IH)
  • Different users see different tabs/modules as described above (yes to domains?)

So, I'm thinking that IH may be overkill and that it would be easier to start with domains. I can create a hierarchical folder structure in the content collection without IH, but will that easily fit into IH if we go that way later? I found the following at Bb Help: Domains for Community Engagement | Blackboard Help geared toward Domains, but haven't found the same kind of "thought process" document for IH.

Does anyone have a compare/contrast checklist that would help me pinpoint what the heck I'm trying to do? Can I add IH later? Can you be in multiple domains? As you can see, I get myself in a loop of questions and have made this whole thing "INCONCEIVABLE".

Helen

Outcomes