AnsweredAssumed Answered

Custom styles for specific courses

Question asked by mw0056128 on Oct 18, 2017
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2017 by mw0056128

One of our schools uses their own CSS to style content within their courses (a sort of sub-theme). Currently, this is done using a CSS file stored in the content collection, and linked to from within items:

<link href="/bbcswebdav/orgs/school/custom.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

This works mostly okay, except:

1. It causes content to get stripped out of some items when they're copied.

2. In Q2 2017 (CU3), when you submit the form, it gets transformed into a link like this:

<link href="https://engage.qut.edu.au/bbcswebdav/pid-6379-dt-content-rid-37119_1/xid-37119_1" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

That link works, and actually fixes the issue with item copy. However, it carries the risk that if the file was ever deleted, we couldn't just replace it - we'd have to edit all of the individual links.

So I think what I want is a static file area: somewhere I can put files that, for whatever reason, don't work well in the content collection. I can use an external web server, but it seems odd that Blackboard doesn't have somewhere I can just drop files like this.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there anywhere on Blackboard that I could use, instead of using an external web server? (I considered putting them in a custom theme and linking to them there, but this doesn't work in Q2 2017 either - the link breaks when you submit the form.)

2. Is there a better way of approaching the whole school-specific CSS idea? (I looked at brands briefly, but we don't want to have a separate URL and institution role just for this one school.)

Outcomes