I'm a sys admin, but GUI only. Not an engineer don't go "behind the curtain" on the server. HOWEVER, we have engineers who do and one of our newer DbAs wanted to know the path to the login page. Anyone know?
Depends on how you've got your environment configured, for example, installation directories; mainly your content share.
In the development environment I've built for myself in Docker, I have the content directory set to /usr/local/blackboard/content. Replace that string in the below with your central share, bblearn could also be bb_bb60, depending on your configuration.
Custom login pages for me are stored under this directory:
At the base of that folder is one, 'login.jsp', it appears to me as though the file in the base of this location is the one you specify through "Sys Admin - Brands and Themes - Customise Login Page". However, I also have a folder titled _1_1, which corresponds to a brand that I have configured, and with that brand, I have specified to use a custom login page, rather than the system default.
Long-in-short, you may have a couple of 'login.jsp' files under the (contentdir)/vi/[bblearn/bb_60]/custom_login/ directory, depending on how you've got brands set up. But the system default will be in the root of that directory.
Edit: I found some more, /usr/local/blackboard/webapps/login/.
This is probably where the 'live' pages are served from actually.
Thanks! I'll send this along to our engineer and dba.
Is I possible to know why they needed that path? There can be more than one login page and the GUI supports downloading the .jsp template, etc. Just wanted to make sure your team wasn't misunderstanding something.
When the .jsp is downloaded, not all of the elements are included. The pieces that I needed to edit weren't there. I wanted to see where they were so I could figure out how to make the edits. I know that editing the HTML directly on the server is not supported and everything points users to downloading the template. Since not all of the elements were in the .jsp, I did the only thing I could think of.... copied the source code from our login page, pasted it into Dreamweaver, edited the broken links, saved it as a .jsp and uploaded that.
I'm sure that someone will tell me what a bad idea that was and how wrong I am, but now our links work. We are looking to re-brand in the near future so I was okay with my workaround. I did run it by leadership and through our change control team. Sometimes ya just gotta say.....well, anyway, I made my move.
Doing it that way runs the risk of some unexpected behavior if something about the login page changes with an update or if you made some changes to your configuration. Not saying that it will, but it might. It would be hard to check for every scenario and I encourage folks to be overly conservative when it comes to login and authentication modifications that could a) interrupt access for all users or b) create some security gap.
Feel free to message me if you want to discuss the specifics. I would very much like to understand what needed to be worked-around so I can see if we should submit an enhancement request too.
Retrieving data ...