vivek.ramgopal

Course Design / Conversion Volunteer Sign-Up for Schools Affected by Hurricane Harvey

Discussion created by vivek.ramgopal on Sep 1, 2017

Hi everyone,

I saw the post below on twitter and thought that this group would be a good audience. The goal is to help faculty quickly develop online courses in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. I know any help would be appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScTqbfcDybL4LMH4b_SmbX1wbveNbgTD1bbuz74vgKyL0gujA/viewform

Course Design / Conversion Volunteer Sign-Up

In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, there are institutions currently struggling to figure out how their semesters will go on because of lost time and spaces that are no longer functional. It's quite possible that some instructors may need assistance with figuring out how to convert their courses to a new modality and/or shorten their duration but still meet their course outcomes. If you are an experienced online educator, instructional designer, faculty developer with online/hybrid support focus, educational technologist, LMS support staff member, or LMS employee, or are in a similar career, add your name and contact information here to volunteer your assistance.

My aim here is that, should the need arise, we'll have people AT THE READY to help faculty with converting courses in formats that will no longer be possible to hybrid and online. That way, we can quickly pair a faculty member who may not know where to begin (for lots of reasons, including personal loss!) with someone experienced in addressing course outcomes effectively in a new format. I can't promise that your sign-up will result in your being paired with someone and I don't know if anything at all will come of this, but I figured it's a small thing we can do to be ready to help keep people teaching and learning. With web conferencing tools, people from anywhere can help!

Georges Detiveaux

Assistant Director, Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence

University of Houston-Downtown

detiveauxg@uhd.edu

French Instructor, Department of Modern Languages

Lone Star College-CyFair

georges@lonestar.edu

Outcomes