The following message was posted today on Behind the Blackboard. Please feel free to add any comments or questions here.
Transitioning from Mobile Learn to the Blackboard and Blackboard Instructor apps
Effective today (August 1, 2017), Mobile Learn will no longer be available in app stores globally. After August 31, 2017, Blackboard will no longer support Mobile Learn. Clients should now encourage the use of the Blackboard app for students and the Blackboard Instructor app for educators (released on July 20th, 2017). These two applications offer an enhanced, user-centric mobile experience that puts critical teaching and learning tools right in users’ hands. All users can expect increased efficiency with our simplified workflows built to complete on the go. The Blackboard app is currently available on the Apple App, Google Play and Windows Stores and Blackboard Instructor is currently available on the Apple App and Google Play Stores. This initial launch of Blackboard Instructor focuses on key communication tools, as we know that student engagement is critical to success. Grading capabilities are currently being validated by users and will follow in the coming months. In the meantime, the Bb Grader app will continue to be available to give instructors access to mobile grading functionality.
- Now: The Blackboard app and Blackboard Instructor apps are available globally
- August 1, 2017: Mobile Learn is scheduled for removal from app stores
- August 31, 2017: Support for Mobile Learn is scheduled to end
Impact to Current Mobile Learn Users:
Current Mobile Learn users will continue to have access to Mobile Learn after it has been removed from app stores and after support ends. However, Blackboard cannot guarantee continued usability of the application. Apple has indicated that 32-bit apps, of which Mobile Learn is, will not be supported on future versions of iOS.
Technical Requirements to Enable Access to Blackboard & Blackboard Instructor
- Blackboard Learn 9.1, October 2014, Blackboard Learn 9.1, Q4 2015, Blackboard Learn 9.1, Q2 2016, Blackboard Learn 9.1, Q4 2016, Blackboard Learn 9.1, Q2 2017 CU2 or Blackboard Learn SaaS (3200.4.0+)
(Note: Mobile Web Services Building Block 94.9.6 is required for versions prior to Q4 2015)
- Mobile license or a solution bundle with mobile. Contact your Blackboard account executive to find out if you have this
- Any device running on iOS 9+ or Android 4.2+
- How to Transition from Mobile Learn to the Blackboard and Blackboard Instructor Mobile Apps
- Release Notes for Mobile Web Services
- Blackboard app and Blackboard Instructor release notes
- Mobile Learn Transition Update - Article #46023
- Transitioning from Mobile Learn to Blackboard and Blackboard Instructor Apps - Article #47167