AnsweredAssumed Answered

SIS Integration Flat File

Question asked by bruce.phillips on May 12, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 by jkelley_blackboard

My school currently uses the Command Line SnapShot tool to create and update all Blackboard Learn users.  Since the next release of Blackboard Learn will no longer support the SnapShot tool I'm researching what method we should change to for user creation and updating.

We have approximately 56,000 Blackboard users.  Once a day we create a file of users who are authorized to use Blackboard (all 56,000) and run that file using the SnapShot Command Line tool.

Blackboard figures out which users are new and which users need to have their data update.  The entire process takes about 30 minutes.  This process has worked very well for us for the past 5 years. (NOTE - we currently do not delete users)

I've researched the SIS Integration Flat File method ( https://help.blackboard.com/Learn/Administrator/Hosting/System_Integration/SIS/SIS_Integration_Types/Snapshot_Flat_File ) as a possible new way of creating and updating our Blackboard users.

My understanding is that we can use the SIS Integration Flat File  - STORE PERSON Integration Method - to accomplish the same goal.  We could provide that integration method a file of all our authorized Blackboard users once a day and that method will add the new users and update any existing users who have had changes made to their data. 

Is my understanding correct?

If you have any experience using the SIS Integration Flat File method for creating/updating your Blackboard users please let me know how the process is working for you.

Thank You,

Bruce Phillips

University of Kansas

Outcomes