AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you edit a 'Course Structure' in 'Teaching Style' or add a new 'Course Structure' to 'Teaching Style'?

Question asked by alsted on Feb 21, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 22, 2017 by alsted

Hi everyone,

At my Faculty at Aarhus BSS, Denmark, I have created standard course structures for each department. We call the course structures for 'templates' as they are only meant to be a starting point for our instructors to build upon. It is kind of like the original 'Course Structures' you find in 'Teaching Style' if you access a Blackboard course; we have just made our own department specific course structures which are aimed at accommodating the different ways each department organise their learning and teaching. My questions is, how I can incorporate the department specific templates into the menu called 'Teaching styles' and make the templates a course structure that the individual teacher can pick for themselves? Does any of you have some experience with this?

At the moment, we create all courses so they have the department specific templates as a standard course structure, but because we have done this for a couple of years now, more and more instructors want to copy the previous course which they have already adjusted and customised. This means that instructors have to delete the entire course structure in the new course, which takes a long time because you can only delete one item at a time (or so I believe?). Our idea is to create courses without a course structure, so that courses are created completely blank, except for one 'Item' which explains how the instructors can either choose their own department specific template from 'Course Style' or copy a previously customised course.

Sample of some of our department specific templates:
Department of Psychology and Behavioral Sciences
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.46.31.png

Department of Political Science
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.42.51.png

Template for a module based course structure
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.47.31.png

And we would like these templates to appear in 'Course Styles' or be able to edit the existing course structures:

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.52.05.png Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 10.52.32.png

Best,
Tobias Alsted Nielsen
Aarhus University, Aarhus BSS

Outcomes