AnsweredAssumed Answered

Simple redirect building block will not open in a new tab or window

Question asked by le31707 on Oct 19, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2016 by Alberto Ruiz

Hi there

I've got what I hope is a rather simple question. I should note I'm not a developer and haven't looked at this sort of thing for a long time.  We've got a couple of Blackboard Building blocks that were created before I joined the organisation and they simply have a redirect to one of our help sites.  They sit in the course tools area and if an instructor needs some help for a particular service (either Blackboard or our Lecture Recording system) they click on the tool and in an iframe it will load the site.

These work ok in our production environment which is running Learn April 2014, but our testing for Q2 2016 has them taking the user out of Blackboard and to that site in the same window. After some discussion we'd like to have these open into a new tab or window so the users still have Blackboard open. 

Looking at the code for these building blocks, they're identical except for the title and the link they redirect to.  On the the redirect.jsp page we have is basically just this:

<body>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

window.location("https://help.otago.ac.nz/blackboard/");

</script>

Now I've tried changing that to window.open but this just redirects to the Blackboard home page.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance

Luke

Outcomes