jshotts

How to better include learners with additional needs in the flipped classroom?

Discussion created by jshotts on Oct 5, 2016

I teach regularly using a flipped classroom approach where I provide students with lots of interactive learning materials ahead of and between classroom teaching sessions. Responses from students preferring visual and auditory ways of learning have been particularly positive. As a result I have started to create more visually engaging blackboard learning environments. In our University we train students to step outside their discipline and area of study to come to a different area and give feedback to teachers on teaching. Working with these impartial students I have begun to redesign virtual learning environments with student suggestions. Another technique I have found very useful is to embed google forms /docs etc in the blackboard environment. I time it carefully so that initially I can engage significant proportions of students individually online on formative tasks and then in class I engage students in groups to work with the collated google form data ( which provides lots of useful visual features such as pie charts). I get students to work together in groups in class to choose aspects of their performance that they want to improve and to do this by comparing how they are doing in relation to other students, and working collaboratively to help one another /access examples of previous student work at different stages of assessment before completing their summative assessment tasks.

Is anyone else out there doing similar things or have tips to share in the flipped classroom that relate particularly to students with particular obstacles to learning?

Outcomes