AnsweredAssumed Answered

Entitlement for the instructor course role?

Question asked by jonathan.lynch on Sep 23, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 30, 2016 by scott.hurrey

I've created a user_tool that can be added to the Tools panel in My Blackboard. However, I would only like the tool to show up if the user is an instructor in one or more courses.

I understand that the proper way to restrict access to the tool is by setting an entitlement-uid in the application link (in bb-manifest.xml). However, as far as I can tell there aren't any entitlements granted to someone who is an instructor.

I thought that course.MODIFY would do the trick, but it seems like that entitlement is only granted to the Instructor within the context of a course they are instructing. That is to say, while you're on the My Blackboard page, you don't have course.MODIFY, you only have that entitlement once you navigate into a course.

I've tried a few entitlements, such as course.unavailable-course.VIEW, course.announcements.CREATE, course.control_panel.VIEW, but I haven't been able to find one such that SecurityUtil.userHasEntitlement returns true while outside of a course.

Does such an entitlement exist? Alternately, is there a way to create a custom entitlement that doesn't use any existing entitlement as a template?

Outcomes