AnsweredAssumed Answered

Legit Analytics Data from the Bb Student App

Question asked by rh30664 on Feb 18, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 by cw31362

When surrounded by lots of smart folks, it can be intimidating to ask what you think is a dumb question.

But at the same time, if the question goes unasked, then no one is enlightened. 

With that being said (and knowing full well that I risk making myself look like a buffoon), I'm curious to know if it is possible to get any true data from the Mobile Web Services B2.  The B2, by Blackboard's own admission, does not provide accurate data regarding iOS activity, and when I review the analytics provided by the building block, all I get are a set of charts and graphs.  Sure, charts and graphs are groovy, but I'm a raw data guy, and I need more information than what the few charts and graphs provide me.  Give me the data, and I'll assemble it into a format that makes the most sense for our institution.

This is further compounded by a conversation I had with one of our faculty earlier this week when she said to me, "You know, my students really love the Bb Student app.  I mean, it has some bugs and all, but they really dig it.  In fact, the majority of them only access Blackboard through the app and don't even log in from a traditional workstation."

This scared the bejeezus out of me because I have no way of actually knowing what's going on in there.  Is this an accurate statement?  Are our hits really that high? I can't tell because the numbers I get from the B2 are so screwy.  I hate flying blind.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue and has found away to extract some usable data (not just pretty pictures) from the Mobile Web Services B2.  We're running on an older version of the B2 (94.7.2) and on the Learn 9.1.201410.160373 build (October 2014).   We will be updating to the October 2015 release in a couple of months, and updating all the B2s at that time.

Any insights, words of wisdom, guidance, or experience on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

I'll even take an "I feel your pain" statement, just to know I'm not alone in this boat.

Cheers,

Rodney Hargis

Outcomes