mdeeprose

Show us your... Blackboard accessibility statement

Discussion created by mdeeprose on Jul 9, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2019 by mdeeprose

You will probably have heard of the Directive (EU) 2016/2102 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 October 2016 on the accessibility of the websites and mobile applications of public sector bodies which has been transposed into law in the 28 members of the EU (and long may it continue to be 28  )  In the UK for example it is The Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.

Part of these regulations is that certain web sites, such as University VLEs should have an accessibility statement.  For new sites published after 23 September 2018 an accessibility statement is required from 23 September 2019.  For site published before 23 September 2018 it is from 23 September 2020It is argued that because VLE materials are updated and refreshed each year for new academic years that even if a VLE had not been upgraded after 23 September 2018 the updates to materials would mean an accessibility statement should be published from 23 September 2019 rather than 2020.

To find out more about this the first places to check at least for UK users are:

I have been putting together a draft accessibility statement for our Blackboard VLE (we do not currently have Ally.)

In the spirit of the excellent community threads Show us your Institution Page!!  Show us your course template! Show us your Login Page and of course Show us your Blackboard!  I thought it would be useful to share what we are working on with our Blackboard Accessibility Statements.

To kick things off, here is my current draft statement:

Blackboard – Accessibility Statement [DRAFT] – eLearning Support and Resources  

It is missing details for processes that we need to set up but have not yet (e.g. assessment of how much material is inaccessible, what we are doing about it, how users can get accessible versions, how they can report accessibility issues to us) but I have done a lot of the easy stuff like linking to Blackboard's own resources, linking to browser/OS vendor sites on utilising accessible features etc.  Maybe this can help others who are yet to start, but hopefully there are other institutions further ahead with their Blackboard Accessibility Statement than I am who can inspire the community with their ideas and strategies

Outcomes