12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2017 6:44 PM by beyondtool

Video Platform Comparison Chart

llinfield

I'm looking for some kind of chart or matrix comparing features and pros/cons of various video platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, and Office 365 Video or Office 365 Stream for use in Blackboard course sites. If anyone has created such a document and would be willing to share, we'd be very grateful. Thanks!

• Re: Video Platform Comparison Chart
          kstripe

Looking for something similar - I will share what I get

fz0067795

Good day Lisa,

Currently there is not such a comparison lists or matrix, but just base on the documentation on the help site, Browse My YouTube Videos | Blackboard Help , Best Practice: Captioning Video Content | Blackboard Help , Add Files, Images, Audio, and Video | Blackboard Help , YouTube seems to be the more integrated one.

Best regards

Farid Ziade

ct38169

I don't have a matrix for those products, but am interested in how you are using Office 365 Stream -- do you mean Microsoft Stream?   I am curious if it works well. 

llinfield

Thanks, Cheryl. Yes, Microsoft Stream.  We have one or two folks currently using Microsoft Video which is in the process of being replaced by Microsoft Stream. (Currently we have both but eventually we'll only have Stream and content from MS Video will need to be migrated.). Using Video or Stream within our Office 365 environment makes it easy to limit access to videos to those within our .edu domain and that is really appealing to the folks who are using it. No need to mess with privacy settings. We also have many folks using YouTube and Vimeo ... hence my interest in finding or creating some guidelines for when to use which tool, what to think about when choosing a tool (privacy settings, ease of integration with Blackboard, etc.). 

jin.tan

Hi Lisa, I don't know the details that you'd like to compare between different tools. I compared collaboration tools five years ago for our University project. I attached three documents, one was I created, the other two were from Adobe Connect and Blackboard. They are out-of-date, but the ceriteria might be useful to some extent.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    pablo

Hi @Lisa,

This chart would give you some ideas

Reference

Video-Conferencing-Software-Comparison-.png

In my case, I started using Zoom video conference and webinar tools, so far the best video tool. You can create your classroom in the Cloud with amazing features.

I have developed a few Blended learning activities adopting Zoom tools:

1. LTI make it easy to schedule lab zoom sessions within course activity workflows (works with Blackboard)
                    2. Focus on the students, not the technology (impact across geographies to reach more students and offer new learning opportunities)
                    3. Including guest lectures from literally anywhere or professional experts into Lab experiences

Cheers,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      art.morgan

I don't have my own matrix, but I have a lot of experience with video platforms, especially from the accessibility side, so can weigh in on some of these questions.

First, you'll probably want to distinguish between whether you're looking for a platform designed for live video meetings versus one that is designed for sharing recorded video in courses.  The info from Jin and Pablo above are mainly about live video meeting tools.

Tools like YouTube, Vimeo, and Microsoft Stream are designed mainly for sharing recorded video.  While these three are "household names" in the consumer space, none of them are really optimized for use in an educational environment, IMHO.  They either fall short on security/privacy/lack-of-commercial-distractions (YouTube, Vimeo), or they have not yet provided APIs that allow them to be well-integrated with your LMS and fully accessible (Stream).  Here's a link to a matrix from Gartner that evaluates video platforms, but keep in mind that this is not tailored to needs of education: 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Video Content Management

I work with educational video platform providers on video accessibility; this mainly involves captioning and audio description, but also includes accessibility of the video player needed to be WCAG 2.0 Level AA compliant.  Some platform providers really "get it" when it comes to accessibility and the needs of education. These include providers like Panopto, Sonic Foundry Mediasite, Echo360, and Brightcove. There are many new entrants in this market that are cheaper, but most either don't get education or they don't get accessibility.  One exception that I've seen recently is a company called Warpwire. They are less expensive than the market leaders, but also tuned in to the needs of education and the reality of what's required for accessibility.

This doesn't totally answer your question, but here is a list of platforms that we integrate with to provide captioning and audio description: Captioning Integrations

Let me know if you have any questions about the relative merits of any of these w/ regard to accessibility.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          beyondtool

We use Mediasite at our institution. My difficulty with the platform is that it really needs a well equipped and trained support team to manage the back end. Our IT support team are under resourced and have not prioritized the development of the platform sadly so it performs poorly and has issues that make it difficult to use. Mediasite was originally intended for lecture capture, however it can be harnessed for video streaming as well.

I have used Microsoft's video platform in the past and I found it lacking. Uploads take forever and then videos need to be re-encoded. Sometimes the video upload or transcode fails and you have to start again. Not good when you are trying to get the weeks lecture out before the weekend.

llinfield

Update -- Today I located a table comparing different video hosting sites. It's a few years old but has some of the feature comparisons I've been looking for. Perhaps it'll be useful to some of you all, too.  It doesn't address accessibility features. Thanks, Art Morgan, for bringing that issue to the conversation!