4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2017 2:00 PM by hr24929

How to create a test with 10 question, student can answer any 5 question out of 10

RBaby

Is there any way to create a test in blackboard with the following criteria.

Total point for the test is 100.

There are 10 questions, each question carries 20 points.

Students will be presented 10 questions but student needs to answer any 5 questions out of  the 10 questions

• Re: How to create a test with 10 question, student can answer any 5 question out of 10
          ggulati

Hello Roobi Baby
          Create  a random block of question for that.

Reference URL- Random Blocks | Blackboard Help

• Re: How to create a test with 10 question, student can answer any 5 question out of 10
            hr24929

When I taught face to face, I'd do this for the essay portion of the test--give maybe seven questions, and ask students to answer five.

To address the "what if they answer more" my policy was that I'd grade the first five answers written. If they wrote on a question, and then decided not to submit that after all, they were to cross it out and write "omit" or "don't grade" on the writing--now a delete key would do the same.

In Bb, there's not a direct way I can think of to do this. But I thought of a couple ideas:

1. Could the questions be paired? Have five pairs, and have students answer only one of each pair? Would make grading a bit easier than my second idea.

2. Have six questions. The first lists all 10 essay prompts, and is worth 0 points. The next five are slots to provide the essay answers to their selected questions. For each question the student should include a number or other designator to indicate which prompt is being answered (trust me--necessary--sometimes you're not sure what they're trying to say.) This is less of a mess than trying to have them answer five essays in a single huge essay question. Feedback would be easier to provide too.

Keeping any sort of statistics on these would be difficult if not impossible, since students are essentially taking "different tests." But it's not unsound design, as far as I'm concerned.

Best wishes,

Hallie