69 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2017 4:18 PM by feeney.linda

April 2017 Q2 CU2 (now CU3)- Sharing experiences

feeney.linda

Our manage-hosted production system was updated to April 2017 Q2 CU2 in mid-August. Although we had tested this release on our staging servers, there were plenty of problems left to find. Unfortunately, this release is quite buggy. This discussion are is for others who are at the same release or contemplating upgrades soon.

Emergency update to CU3 on September 17. Authentication issues resolved. Other problems remain.

Message was edited by: Linda Feeney

• Re: April 2017 Q2 CU2 - Sharing experiences
          feeney.linda

Not a bug, but two observations...

Changes to the 2012 Theme will cause some interesting display issues for admins. I had always left themes to one of my staff members who has been transferred to another department. For this update I was a branding newbie.

The 2012 theme has been updated and all is fine, but we did see unexpected changes -- extraneous text was included in admin reporting screens and the Blackboard wordmark was displayed as a large image in the upper right portion of the screen on the Admin tab.

• Re: April 2017 Q2 CU2 (now CU3)- Sharing experiences
              ja25870

I noticed these same issues with our custom theme in our test environment. Several tabs are invisible on initial login; covered by the global navigation menu. Clicking and then closing the menu moves it to the upper right corner where it belongs and permits users to see the missing tabs; however, I fear that most users will not think of trying this. There are other quirks to the theme's appearance. I have tried reverting back to the default 2012 theme but it does not resolve the issues; it seems like Blackboard is trying to force customers to move to the 2016 theme.

feeney.linda

Bug - On a Mac using the Firefox browser, the instructor cannot set tests or assignments for multiple submissions. The option is just not available. Workaround - Use Chrome.

This is not a problem for Windows users.

bhavsar.jatin

We are planning to test Q2 2017 CU3 release in our managed hosted test environment.

Have you come across any issues with the Learn 2016 theme and was there any reason why you are on the 2012 theme?

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                  feeney.linda

Bug - The course menu collapses unexpectedly. This will happen with any browser on Windows or Mac, full screen or not full screen. It happens immediately on mobile devices and getting back is a chore.

Blackboard has suggested an unsupported fix. We will be testing.

feeney.linda

Bug - VTBE generated text is not spaced as expected. (i.e., vertical line spacing -- lines are too close)

Workaround -- See strategy described in Article 000047121

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      feeney.linda

Bug - Using the text editor in the Quick Comment tool returns an error

Workaround - None.

Fix -- None. Here is an excerpt from Blackboard's response:

"This will not be fixed in any upcoming releases. This decision was made based on one or more of the following criteria:

- The software defect has remained very low in priority across the install base of clients and has not been included in more than two Generally Available past releases after it was identified, or

- The software defect has been reported against features that have been discontinued or that have been rewritten in a more current release, or

- The software defect would require an unreasonable amount of engineering time and resources for a very marginal gain.

feeney.linda

Bug -  On file upload editing "Link Title" strips file type associations. If the user is attempting to overwrite an existing file, it will not be overwritten. If a link is made to the unassociated file, clicking on the link results in a prompt to download the file. The user then has to try to figure out what kind of file it is in order to open it.

Workaround -- Don't edit the "Link Title"

Blackboard is still working on this one.

feeney.linda

Bug -- When assigning users to groups, sort by Username does not work.

Workaround - None.

tp36301

Linda Feeney,

Thanks so much for posting this here and sharing experiences.  This is really helpful for those evaluating this version or upgrading to upcoming versions.

We upgrade next May from Managed Hosting from Q4 2016 CU3 to likely a version of Q4 2017 and it will be good to see when I start the Tech Preview process in a few weeks to see if these are resolved in Q4 2017.

Cheers,

Toni P.

feeney.linda

Bug - When re-ordering rows in a rubric, click on the Criteria button. The Re-Order box is not visible.

Workaround - This is a variation on the known issue described in Article  000038839. In order to find the misplaced  Re-order box, the instructor must scroll all the way to the bottom of the browser window to get rid of the floating Cancel/Submit bar.

feeney.linda

BIG BUG -- Do not stop at CU2. Go directly to CU3

If you are using SAML, Shiboleth, or CAS for authentication -- there is a bug in the authentication process. We are trying to get an emergency update to CU3 scheduled for this weekend.

Essentially, the Blackboard system believes that the user is not authenticated and will not allow him/her to add content. The humanly readable portion of the error message is "Getting module directory failed."

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  jb22661

Another Q2 CU2 major bug we see is users do not receive emails when subscribed to discussion forums. See issue 000043730. It doesn't happen all of the time, but apparently it may have something to do with whether you have disabled users in the course. (Even though this was listed as fixed in CU2.)

feeney.linda

We experienced this intermittently when instructors try to send email via the Grade Center. Happened to me once this weekend before our upgrade. I have sent a few emails since with no problem. No call logged yet.

A thought... I wonder if it is at all related the number of recipients. Most of my messages from the Grade Center are to 1-5 usernames. The one that failed was sent to 20+

kg37683

Thanks so much, Linda Feeney, for starting this thread.  This is such a helpful way for folks to connect around this release.

tn29202

Great thread - this is how we can help each other as customers of Blackboard - openness and willingness to share :-)

jacobspradlin@gmail.com

We are on the latest approved CU for Q2 2017 and many of our issues have been fixed.  However we still have the discussion subscriptions issue as well as when an instructor sends an e-mail via the grade center with an attachment, the attachment becomes a .tmp file.  Aside from that we are pretty stable and happy.

feeney.linda

Today, I received email from a faculty member complaining about attachments coming through as tmp files. He did not specify the method used for sending the file.

I tested sending an attachment from Control Panel, Course Tools, Send Email. This worked fine.

I tested sending an attachment from Grade Center, Full Grade Center, select users, Email Selected Users. This created a file with a TempFile name

Two interesting observations --

1. The interface for sending the message looks exactly the same, so one would expect the results to be the same.

2. The tmp file is a Word file. If you tell your computer to open the file with Word, it will open just fine.

It looks like the process for sending the message from the Grade Center is incomplete.

Update: I logged a call on this. After submitting a call the top "Relevant Knowledgebase Article" was the same problem I had just reported. What is very frustrating is that I spent time searching the Knowledgebase looking for a known issue before logging the call. The article never came up. For those who would like to read it, see # 000045861

ja29127

I am very appreciative of this thread.  While we upgraded to 'Q2 2017 CU3' in late August, the issues we've experienced are most likely still relevant for CU2.  I will try testing out the issues listed in this thread.  What gets me is that we were part of the tech preview for Q2 2017, and we did not encounter the issues we're currently facing.  Some of the issues we're facing:

• When cross-listing courses (course merge), the red arrow indicator when viewing the courses in the system admin tab is not visible, and students see both the parent and child course.
                                              • Copying content areas from one course to another will not include assignments, unless the grade center is also copied (which is unreasonable to do, as this will copy the entire grade center).
                                              • Students are unable to attach files when submitting an assignment using Microsoft Edge.
                                              • Course menu auto-hides when window width is narrow enough (which has been an issue in classrooms with older projectors).
                                              • This release seems to include some extra HTML that didn't match our custom theme (based on Learn 2012), so we had to redo our theme to compensate (an example, column headers were repeated in every cell of the grade center).
                                              • Issues with drag-n-drop all throughout the application (course menu, content area, grade center column organization).

I'm glad we have this community to share these issues with each other.

schlater.david

Do you have a article number for this:

When cross-listing courses (course merge), the red arrow indicator when viewing the courses in the system admin tab is not visible, and students see both the parent and child course.

Thanks,

David

ja29127

I tried to find an article, but couldn't find one.  But if this happened to you, Bb Support fixed it for us.  Basically, when using the section merge, the child courses are supposed to be marked unavailable.  In our case, when I did the semester dump of enrollments, the courses somehow were marked as available.  After providing Support with a list of course ID's for the children courses, they marked them unavailable from the database, which fixed the issue.  I'm not sure if this could have been fixed on my end through integration, to mark the children courses unavailable that way, or if there was something extra that needed to be done on Support's end.

feeney.linda

We have not experienced an issue with the red arrow -- This sounds theme related. Did you regenerate your local theme after the update? This is a must.

Copying content -- This has always been the case. It would be nice to be able to export/import an assignment (or any graded item) as you can do with tests and rubrics.

Microsoft Edge -- Always a nightmare. The mantra on our campus is "Firefox, firefox, firefox"

Course Menu Collapse-- Definitely a problem already noted in this discussion thread. Unsupported workaround available from Bb. Log a call.

Theme - Yes, it does have to be re-done. Now a specific part of our SOP after each update.

Drag and drop -- I have found this frustrating from the beginning. Depending on browser version, moves are not permanent. I always recommend that instructors use keyboard accessible re-ordering - much easier, faster, and completely dependable. You can find this by clicking on those mysterious up/down arrows that you may have been ignoring.

re-order.PNG

ja29127

Thanks for the response, Linda.  We did end up re-doing our theme (as stated in my original response), but the cross-listing issue was unrelated; Bb Support was able to fix for us.

I don't believe I've ever seen the issue with copying a content area in one course, that includes assignments, to another different course, where the assignment wasn't copied.  Not to say it didn't happen before, but I haven't seen it before.  This isn't just attempting to copy a single assignment from one course to another, it's when copying a full content area.  Assignments only live on content areas, not within any other space in the course.  Support has been looking into this for a week and a half now; not sure what the status is, it's been hard to get a response.

And while we always suggest to have multiple browsers, screaming it until you're blue in the face doesn't mean everyone will listen.  Especially when saying not to use IE (or, in this case, Edge).

I'm aware of the re-ordering using the (not so mysterious) icon you referenced above, and we do use it.  Haven't had any other issues with drag-n-drop.  For these specific cases, holding down the 'Shift' key (or command key on a Mac) and then refreshing the page fixes the issues.

krubinstein

I've seen the assignment copying issue -- when you don't also include the "‘Grade Center Columns and Settings’" along with the content area -- the assignments won't copy. This is a long standing 'issue' -- which I guess Bb does not consider an issue.

ja29127

This is a longstanding issue?  Interesting.  I have a case open with Support on it.  It's been open for about a week and a half now.  They replied to the case to say, yes, they were able to reproduce and will do some testing.  Then they said they're doing testing, and will get back to me soon.  That was last Wednesday morning; I asked for an update Friday and again today.

Do you know if there is an article for this?  I was not able to find one.  Or do you remember around which release you were on when you first experienced this issue?

feeney.linda

We have been running Bb Learn 9.1 for 5 years. It has always been the case that the Grade Center must be copied if you wish to copy assignments. If you think about it, it makes sense. Each time an assignment is created, a column is created in the Grade Center. You can't have one without the other.

You can however, have instructor created columns that are not related to assignments (e.g., in class presentation). It would be nice to have the option to bring assignments with their associated grade center columns, but ignore the others.

feeney.linda

We created a module with browser information and added it to our Bb landing page. It is very difficult to avoid. Some instructors even use it on a Module page in their courses.

I used to have the opportunity to speak for 15 minutes to new faculty and all adjunct instructors each semester. I made a point of telling them that it was my goal to say "Firefox" at least 50 times before my time was up. I always said it as "Firefox, firefox, firefox". Now I get just 5 minutes. However, I do ask the returning adjuncts what browser to use. It is impressive to hear all those voices calling out "Firefox, firefox, firefox". It is startling enough that the new adjunct instructors remember the information.

Now, if I could just work the same magic with the students...

ja25870

The copying assignment issue has been around for us for years - as long as I can remember. It makes sense that an assignment (or a test, for that matter) would be tied to its grade center column and would not copy unless you also copy the associated column. You cannot copy a test without also copying the grade center, either. I train my faculty to understand that, but it does pop up as a question once or twice a semester.

The reordering bug seems to affect courses UNTIL you use the keyboard accessible reordering icon. Use it one time, and from then on, drag and drop works fine. No idea why, but it resolves the issue.

Thanks!

Julia 

krubinstein

Thanks for adding this discussion. We're moving over to SAAS in December, and as such, have to upgrade to 2017 Q2   -- based on the posts here we should likely go for CU3 and not 2.

feeney.linda

Bug - Not confirmed yet by Blackboard, but 100% replicable.

1. Access Grade Center.
                                                                    2. Turn on Filters
                                                                    3. Select desired filter
                                                                    4. Hide all rows except one student
                                                                    5. Select a grading column, View Details
                                                                    6. Manually override grade, Submit
                                                                    7. Return to Grade Center
                                                                    8. Show all rows fails. The page has to be re-loaded even the options indicate that the system thinks it is displaying all rows.

I reported this precise scenario, but there are many variations on this. The key point seems to be going to View Details. After returning to the Grade Center, the display is wonky and stays that way unless you reload the Grade Center or refresh the browser window.

feeney.linda

Not confirmed by Blackboard yet, but 100% replicable

BUG - When attempting to designate adaptive release or advanced adaptive release on a content folder, selecting show all users generates an error message:

Workaround - Select users screen by screen rather than Show All

The specified object was not found.
                                                                      For reference, the Error ID is 5a07258e-f287-4a1f-9d90-991bdbb59bc9.
                                                                      Sunday, September 24, 2017 4:14:35 PM EDT

Steps to repeat:

Create a content folder
                                                                      Adaptive Release
                                                                      Username, Browse
                                                                      Search, Not Blank, Go
                                                                      Show All
                                                                      Receive error message

Update: Just for grins, I tried this in multiple course sections. To generate the error, the user list must span at least 2 pages.

Update: As expected, observed the same behavior on our Staging server.

Update: Blackboard support is now able to replicate the reported error.

Update: Database tuning and rolling restart on 10/8/17 - Error message still there.

Update: Blackboard indicates that this is related to dropped or disabled students in the course section enrollment.

feeney.linda

Bug - Missing vertical scroll bars in Grade Center

This is related to a known issue described in article 000047390. I have not logged a call because, although I observed the behavior, I am unable to replicate it.

A faculty member called complaining that the vertical scroll bar was missing in the Grade Center. She was using the Firefox browser on a Windows 10 machine. I use the same, but have not had this problem.

I visited her office to observe the problem first hand. I was unable to find any reason for the vertical scroll bars to be missing. To try to narrow the problem down to a specific machine, I logged into Blackboard and accessed the Grade Center of a course that I teach. The vertical scroll bar appeared. I logged out and had the faculty member log back in to her course. Miraculously, the vertical scroll bar appeared.

Has anyone else seen this? What have you done to replicate it?

Update: I was finally able to replicate this with one of our faculty members. The resolution on the monitor was set to 1680 x 1050. In both Firefox and Chrome, the scroll bars were missing at 100% zoom level. On my office computer with the resolution set to 1920 x 1200, the scroll bars disappear at 67% resolution. The workaround is to zoom in/out to get the scroll bar display back.

Off to log a call...

Update #2: We experimented with other computers, multiple browsers, both Windows and Mac and various screen resolutions. We found that each set of configurations had a different point where the scroll bars would disappear. Blackboard has identified this as a "software defect" but has not yet put it on the schedule for resolution.

feeney.linda

Bug - Grade Center incorrectly reporting on Group Assignment submissions.

This report came in today. I have opened a case with Blackboard.

The instructor has divided the student into 12 teams of three students each. She assigned the students to their respective teams and created a group assignment. This assignment is due next week, but students may submit early. When she visits the Grade Center and sorts on the assignment column, she sees three student in "needs grading" status. These students are all on the same team. When she goes to the Needs Grading screen, she sees just one submission to be graded. So far, this behavior is what one would expect.

However, if she hovers the mouse pointer over the column, the "bubble text" indicates that there are submissions from 7 of 13 groups. See attached image.

raring-group-assignment.jpg

As far as I can tell, only one group has submitted a file for the assignment. Has anyone else experienced this issue? The instructor is concerned that she is missing files from the other six groups.

feeney.linda

Bug - Exempted grade with Quick Comment text throws error when student attempts My Grades access.

Error message:

Error reading 'displayComment' on type blackboard.plugin.mygrades.student.BbStudentGradebookRow Exactly one of attemptId or gradeId must be set, or ( historyTime != -1 && gradeId ) needs to be true: false, false, -1

This is a known issue reported in Article # 000043555.

Workaround: Remove Quick Comment text.

The Quick Comment tool in this release certainly is a problem.

feeney.linda

BUG - Quick Comment throws POST and authentication errors

Quick comment tool throws error when editing feedback to students. The first is a POST error. The second is an authentication error. This problem is 100% replicable in any course section.

1. Authenticate to Blackboard (Authentication method does not matter. Errors occur regardless.)

2. Access desired course section

3. Access Full Grade Center

4. Hover over desired grade cell, open Options menu, click on Quick Comment

5. Click on Text editor

6. Enter text in Feedback to Learner

7. Click on Submit

8. Error message "Only POST methods are accepted for grade changes, course user id: _1004090_1 item id: _340768_1"

9. Click on OK

10. Click on Submit again.

11. Error message: blackboard.platform.security.authentication.BbSecurityException: This request is not associated with a valid session.