AnsweredAssumed Answered

Report will install and run, but not show any data

Question asked by ts0068516 on Sep 7, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2017 by ts0068516

Hi, everyone. I'm just getting started--I'm a complete and utter newcomer to Blackboard, BIRT reports, and Building Blocks--and I could use some help with a problem I'm having. I think I've got the basics down, in that so far after some muddling through what documentation I've been able to find, I've:

• Gotten a reporting project started in Eclipse
  • Designed a small test report (just a simple "select course_id,course_name,course_desc from course_main" displayed in a three-column table)
  • Gotten the report to run successfully against the PostgreSQL installation in my virtual Blackboard server
  • Packaged up the report into a B2 .war file and uploaded it onto the server (after changing the data source to "BBLEARN_data_source")

...and here's where the problem starts. I can see the report in Admin/System Reporting/Statistics reports, click the chevron and get to the run page, then select a format and run it...but I get no data. If I request PDF, Excel, or Word output, I get a document with the three column headers, but no rows. If I request HTML output, I get the headers, but also this:

The following items have errors:

Table (id = 1605):

+ An exception occurred during processing. Please see the following message for details:

Cannot open the connection for the driver: org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc.JDBCException: There is an error in get connection, Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections..

That happens both in my local development server and on our managed-hosting testing server. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Outcomes