10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 2:07 PM by smachaje

Creating assignments that do not have an online turn-in

db0051441

In Canvas I can create assignments which do not have online turn-ins.  Additionally, I can create assignments which are not graded.  These in combination allow me to create assignments that have a due-date for a paper turn-in, as well as reading assignments that are due on a particular date.  There are no assignment types or options that support this in Blackboard.  I can put reading on the calendar; that is acceptable, but annoying as it is a different interface for both me and my students.  As for paper turn-in assignments, I have no work around that gives good results.  My students get warnings that they have a late assignments, and I get notices of students falling behind.

This seems to be an enormous hole in Blackboard's offering; more than half of my assignments are in-class work that are turned in on paper.

Am I missing something?  Is there some set of options that I just have not seen?

Or, is this really a missing piece in a 20 year old software package; does Blackboard actually not support these most basic teaching techniques; so basic that I hesitate to call them techniques?

Any tips?

Thank you,

Dave Basener

• Re: Creating assignments that do not have an online turn-in
          dh30239

Hi David. Create a column in the Full Grade Center for work that's handed in outside Blackboard. It's under Full Grade Center > Create Column. You can even specify a due date.

I hope this helps.
          Dan

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              db0051441

Thanks, Dan.

I appreciate your help.  This might be OK for paper turn-in, but I thought that I had tried that out.   I thought that even if I grade it,  my students continued to get past due notices, but perhaps not.  I will give that a try again and verify.  Part of my problem may be that I have been using Ultra Course View (testing it out for our school), and the grade book is very different.

In any case, that still leaves ungraded assignments with due dates, such as reading; all assignments require a score, I guess I could set 0 points.  Again, that would leave the students getting past due notices for at least the reading assignments.

I guess I am partly expressing astonishment that an LMS does not support face-to-face classes, and even for online classes, the reading assignments with due dates would be desirable.  For me, the lack of these options, actual options, not just some sort of weird work around, is puzzling.  As I mentioned, these are specifically supported in Canvas with an assignment option of "No online turn in" and a grading option of "Not graded". 

Thank you for your help, Dan.

dh30239

Thanks for clarifying. I did not realize that you were asking the question in regards to Learn Ultra. I have very little experience with that platform, and I apologize if I misguided you in any way!

Dan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      db0051441

Hi, Dan.

No, you were correct in answering about Classic.  I was just explaining why the work-around in the Classic gradebook is unfamiliar to me.  I haven't used Classic Blackboard to support a class for years now.  I used Moodle for several years, then when that wasn't available I decided to support my classes using a combination of Google Apps for Education tools.  Next I moved to Canvas, which I find very intuitive; it has direct support for face-to-face classroom interactions.  I started trying out the Ultra Course View when my college went to SaaS Blackboard.  My other job here is Instructional Technologist, and I wanted to see if the Ultra Course View was a better student and faculty experience.  It was sold to us as being very "Canvas-like".

So, I have tried out your suggestion of created columns in the gradebook.  I created one for a paper turn in and immediately graded it.  I also created one for reading with 0 points available.  Both had due dates of last night at 6 PM.  Today I do not have any notices, but both assignments show up as "past due" with red borders in the grade view.  Both also indicate, to me, "3 to grade" (I have three test students in this test course) with 0 turn ins, even though for the "paper turn in", I have actually graded it.  I have not checked with my "students" yet, but the fact that I am being told that I have things to grade with nothing turned in, makes me expect anomalies in the student view of this.

I feel like I am trying to use a hammer as a screwdriver.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Dave

smachaje

David,

Perhaps you intend to use the LMS without automation (reminders, grading prompts etc), which means that you should not use the assignment tool.  How about if you post a Content Item with the due date in the title.  This let's students know what to do and by when.  However, there are no automatic tasks issued by the system to students or instructors.  You can still have a column in the grade book, manual column, and populate it as you complete grading.

My feeling is that even in-person classes have a need for reminders to students that due date is approaching or that it is passed.  Also, Needs Grading means that the instructor needs to post grades, even if no digital content was submitted.

I think you will find all the tools to support your teaching style.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              db0051441

Thanks, Szymon.  I agree that students in an in-person class need reminders, tat is what I am trying to achieve.  I have three types of assignments in my classes:

1) due-date with a grade and an online turn-in

2) due-date with a grade and a paper turn-in

3) due-date with no grade and no turn-in

In the past, when I have tried to use the second two so that students get reminded of an up-coming reading assignment (number 3) or so that I have a grade column (number 2), students get told that they have missing assignments after the due-date has past.  I am not absolutely sure that it worked that way for case number 2, perhaps after I graded their paper work the "past due" went away.  Of course, there will always be a lag between the due-date and the grade, so even in that case there is an annoying notice.  In the case of the reading assignment, there was no grade to give.  Perhaps I should go trough and give them all "0" and then not include that column in the grade calculation.

Your point that in person classes need due-dates is exactly my point.  With Canvas this function is directly supported by having a turn-in option of "On paper", and a grading option of "Not graded".  This is the way to support in-person classes.  Even if there is a way to jig-up Blackboard using a combination of options (that I don't know about) that are meant to circumvent some built-in function, there is no way to know if that ability will remain, and no way to be sure that the weird use of that combination will always work the way you want.

But I stress, I don't even know a way to do this with some sort of jig-up.  Putting the due-date in the title, making an announcement, putting it in the calendar, all have short comings because they are not really meant to support the presentation of scheduled assignments. 

I appreciate your attempt to help, but this is all convincing me that Blackboard simply can not support in-person student-faculty interactions.

Thanks,

Dave

hubert.nachtegaele@uantwerpen.be

For assignments that do not have an online turn-in, I suggest making an assignment and write in the assignment information:

• Please submit this assignment with a "Pro Forma" Text Submission (button 'Write submission').
                        In the text submission, you only have to write "The work I had to do for this assignment is completed. Please give me feedback so I can find it in My Grades"

Such an assignment for this type of work has some advantages to making a Grade Center column, certainly for teamwork. It is in Bb not possible to make a group assessment via a "naked Grade Center Column". For a group assessment, you need a Group Assignment, and (one member of) the group has to submit "something", at least such a Pro Forma submission. A "Grade Center Column" coupled to groups does not exist. For example, an oral group presentation can be assessed as a group by asking the group to submit such a Text Submission.

You can give a due date for this "Pro Forma" Text Submission, which isn't possible for a "naked" Grade Center Column. This way, You can use all benefits of assignments, also for  a theater or music performance.

1 of 1 people found this helpful