11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 8:12 PM by beyondtool

Branching Question Options for and/or in Blackboard

gs0044169

I am hoping to get some ideas about the Test question types used in a course on how we can build Branching type questions (i.e. If you answer yes to this you will be sent to question 4 but if you answer no you will be sent to answer 3) using any of the existing question type, question sets, or any other method or tool out of box with Blackboard. If there is nothing that can support this out of box are any of you using a Building block or something else to accomplish this? Any recommendations or ideas would be very helpful!

• Re: Branching Question Options for and/or in Blackboard
          gw0046349

QuestionMark supports both branching and jumping. The Blackboard assessment tool does not have any such logic built in. Right now the QM building block is good only through October 2014 (maybe 1 or both 2015 versions, but I'm not sure).  To connect with more recent versions of Blackboard, they are developing an LTI.  In the meantime, you can still use QM and deliver it through SCORM.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            gs0044169

Gail, Thank you for providing the QM solution. QM is what we are currently using and looking to move on from it and was hoping to find an alternative Building block or process that might assist in establishing a branching/jumping  type question within Blackboard. Thanks, Grant

smachaje

This behavior could be implemented by adaptive release and the use of multiple quizzes.  As you answer questions on one quiz you could detect it with adaptive release: questions 1-4 worth 10 points, 5-8 worth 100 points.  Adaptive release would look for score of more than 100 points to show a folder with a new quiz.

This would build the logic, I'm not sure if the total point assessment would be still useful.

Szymon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  gs0044169

Hi Szymon, I was wondering about adaptive release as a consideration and was going to try using it if there are no other options being used out there. Are you all using this process currently? If so how is it working for you in regard to difficulty for the test builder? Thanks, Grant

gw0046349

Szymon, That is very clever and I've seen some of my users apply extremely sophisticated adaptive release like what you describe.  However, I guess whether or not Blackboard should try to compete with some very well done assessment companies is a topic of debate.  QuestionMark has allowed me, for example, to create a random question set where each question is a jump to a  different set of questions, scenario, if you will.  So if my random set has 3 questions, question 1 will cause a jump to a set of 6 more questions that are related to question 1.  If you get question 2, you jump to a different set of follow on questions, and so forth.  QM also allowed me to set up pairs of questions, while in the same random pool set, will never be delivered together in the same assessment.  You can also create questions in such a way that all kinds of custom data are retained for later reporting, for example multiple select questions where you have to get them all correctly identified to score, yet each selection is recorded for item analysis.  You can also tag the questions according to topics, and then give feedback to the student on each topic at the end of the assessment.  Thus, if they fail the assessment, they can tell their weakest topic and target their study for the next attempt.  Blackboard has nothing like that.

I guess what I'm saying, is if you need or desire what I call " heavy duty" assessments, perhaps the Blackboard assessment tool is not your best choice.  Blackboard has relationships with assessment companies, including QuestionMark, and LTI's or building blocks are supported for integration.  I think whatever fits your need and budget is out there and deliverable through Blackboard.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    beyondtool

Something like adaptive release does work, but it relies on the academic being familiar with how it works. The issue we have had in the past is when the subject gets rolled over to a new semester, the new academic delivering it has no understanding of how the rules work and changes the quiz questions breaking everything.

I would recommend a SCORM solution, something like iSpring or Articulate Storyline allows you to make branching quizzes very easily. If you don't need the results to be recorded, just loading the quiz as a html page from the content collection would work well.

gw0046349

Christian, SCORM is an excellent solution, however it ties in to your first sentence: but it relies on the academic being familiar with how it works.  Being on the team of full system administrators for the FAA's Blackboard, I am also Tier 2 in the help desk.  My biggest category of extremely messy tickets are with SCORM that doesn't score properly, doesn't complete properly, doesn't launch properly, you name it. When SCORM works, it is an almost perfect solution.

gs0044169

Hi Christian, Thank you for the recommendations with the SCORM package using Activate. We are currently conducting a pilot using this and your confirmation of it working is reassuring to us. We used to use QM but for a couple of reason we are looking for an alternative and the only test type we have left to find an alternative for is the branching. Everything else we were using QM for we can do in Blackboard. Would you by any chance have a job aid or step guide on how you are doing this that could be shared? Thanks, Grant