6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 5:04 PM by tp36301

Master Course Management Needs for Online Campus

tp36301

Greetings,

Our online campus has brought this need to our attention.  I am not sure if this would be better for the Data Reporting Group for MH as we do use OpenDB so I am cross posting this.

This is what they our online campus sent us for requirements.  I can't think of anything that would give them specifically data on these because they are manually created in the System DSK and are not from our SIS as real courses.  If you used the word "MASTER" that would include several face to face master courses.  Let me know anyone has had this request and some options to get this (preferably free).

Master Course Management Needs for Online Campus:

We are looking for a solution that tracks information related to our master courses and their related information and for our faculty and their involvement with online education. Some of the reports and/or questions we want to answer are:

• Identifying courses requiring updates due to change in textbook, change to curriculum including outcomes, recommendations from staff or faculty, and/or length of time since last updated.
      • The progress of courses under development.
      • Courses belonging to a program including the status (developed, being developed, needs to be developed, needs to be updated).
      • Anticipated schedule of upcoming course developments.
      • The teaching and developing history of faculty.
      • Identifying course resources and their costs for each term and the impact of changing assigned course resources to both master courses and teaching sections.
      • Track teaching sections and assigned faculty for each term, including communication and process markers.

It also needs to support managing our online campus' core business processes of supporting faculty teaching online courses and the development of master courses including tracking communications, observations, key dates.

Cheers,

Toni P.

• Re: Master Course Management Needs for Online Campus
          tp36301

I am tagging Isaiah Andrea, Brett Stephens Matt Lingard Chris Bray on this topic.

The tricky part is that Master Courses for us that I am referring to in our online campus are not Parent/Child or Merged courses. 

They are mainly created and updated and copied to sections of courses.  We have Master courses for online which is what they want to track so we prefer to exclude the face to face Master courses.

Cheers,

Toni P.

chris.bray

So basically your "Master" courses are what could be considered development or template courses.

Correct?

We have two type of courses we call "Masters":

1.  legacy (dating back to last decade WebCt courses, which were migrated to Bb in 2010) courses that are used to store specific course data for specific multi-section courses.  This is usually labs. 

Example:  "CHEM 1121L Master Course".  This contains the lab schedule and documentation for ALL 1121L labs, and managed by the lab coordinator.  There are separate 1121L lab courses where the individual instructors manage their content and grades.  All students enrolled in 1121L sections are also added to the "Master" course, and cleared out at the end of the semester, since it's not used for grades.

2. parent course ID designations.  Example: 

COMBINED PHYS 2031L - COLLEGE PHYSICS II LAB (MASTER-1173-THEUA-PHYS-2031L-SEC001)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                bs28666

Hmm, this is a complicated request.  We don't do any automated tracking of content like that and the concept of knowing when it needs to be updated is a bit vague.

Are students enrolled in these Master courses? This may be tangential to what you are talking about, but we have a process here at UM that is essentially merged courses without the child courses being unavailable.  I have it being kept up by a scheduled PL/SQL script that compares the child course enrollments with the master course enrollments and adds/drops the students as needed through an SIS flatfile integration.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    tp36301

Brett Stephens,

These do not have students enrollments and do not have a traditional parent/child relationship so it is even more complicated as we do not have those formally set or pushed in the SIS Framework like with our actual course templates.  These manually created and manually copied from our online campus.

The issue is some of these requirements come from outside of the LMS and these courses are not connected to Banner or pushed out of Blackboard as official courses so it makes it harder to measure for these requirements.

Cheers,

Toni P.