1 2 3 First Previous 325 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 9:54 AM by md26817 Branched to a new discussion.

*** Upgrade Club 2017 ***

mdeeprose

The first rule of upgrade club is that everyone talks about upgrade club.

The purpose of this thread is for anyone doing an upgrade this year to check in, state what version/platform they are on now, and to what version they plan to upgrade.  Maybe we can find some useful common ground and exploit some synergies?

Last year's upgrade club thread seemed to be useful and well-received by members of the community.  I started that original thread in a mild panic that we had been given resource to do our local upgrade at short notice and with rather limited time remaining before our upgrade window and was seeking to find colleagues and peers to share tips and experiences.

This year, having learnt a lot from the experience, we have started our upgrade project already back in January. To try to give something back to the community in return for all the help I received, I will be blogging about our upgrade experiences in my blog here: Matt's Upgrade Blog

I plan to include as much useful info that we find as possible and hope that it may prove to be useful to others.  If you would like to join in and blog about your own upgrade I've made a blog tag of upgrade club so tag your post appropriately and all posts should be visible in one place.

So to summarise our upgrade, we are we are planning to in-place upgrade from 9.1 Q4 2015 to 9.1 Q4 2016 in the first weekend of July, hopefully with the latest CU available.  We are running a Linux (Redhat 6) platform, and Oracle 12 database. 

Do you have upgrade plans for this year?

• 1. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
          tp36301

Matthew Deeprose,

I was waiting for a 2017 edition of the Upgrade Club.

We are leaning again towards Q4 2016 for our late May 2017 annual upgrade.

Does anyone have a list of possible B2s to be concerned about for Java 8?

I know I need to check on the requirements for versions of the Oscelot LTI B2, Starfish, A4L (the newer versions require us to upgrade A4L itself), and Autosignon (we have an older version and the new requires changes beyond a simple update). 

I know many of the partners are compatible with Java 8 and Q4 2016 like Kaltura but if anyone knows of any B2 showstoppers, let us know.

Cheers,

Toni P.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
            shawn.brewer

WKU is planning to upgrade on June 25 & 26. The current plan is to move from Q4 2015 to Q4 2016.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
              mdeeprose

That's very close to our weekend Shawn - we will upgrade on 1/2 July

• 5. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                kaspars.dzerins

We're planning on our MH installation to be upgraded to Q2 2017 sometime in July.

With Q4 2016- if you're using delegated grading in assignments I would recommend holding off the upgrade until after Blackboard have released a fix for the issue we're currently experiencing - it has been reported and acknowledged to be a bug in the software, but there is no current fix or even a knowledge base article on it. Other than that, Q4 seems to be working fine.

• 6. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                  mdeeprose

Thanks for the tip Kaspars!  We've not yet tested delegated grading in the assignment feature in 2016 Q4 - it has caused us some trouble in the past.  I will keep an eye out for the KB entry once it is published.

• 7. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                    ld209

CCCU will be upgrading from Q4 2015 to Q4 2016, latest CU most likely.

We were hoping to move to Q2 2017 in order to look at -and possibly implement- Ally as we had been told multiple times that this release would be available in February in order to meet the needs and timeframe for testing for a summer upgrade. Sadly, the recent Product Webinar has confirmed that this will not be available until "April/May" so that's a no go now.

• 8. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                      mb27350

Upgrade club rules!

University of Edinburgh are going to Q4 2016 (with whatever CU is available).

Looking forward to responsive theme, drag and drop and assignment receipts (although not perfect).

The roadmap for Q2 2017 wasnt great, the timeline slipped (no suprises) and we are seeing the expected dev of ultra and the maintenance of original

• 9. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                        pam.harvey

Hi Kaspars - Can you describe the problem with delegated grading? We've had some instructors try it in 2015 Q4, and the results usually surprise and confuse them. We're planning to move to 2016Q4, probably in May (Oracle/Linux)

• 10. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                          kaspars.dzerins

From what I have seen the initial setup of the assignment appears fine - enabling delegated grading, adding graders, clicking Submit. The problem appears to happen later - if you try to disable delegated grading/add another grader/remove an existing one/change the assignments visible to graders (from all to random or vice versa). If you try to modify the settings and then click Submit an error message appears at the top of the assignment, saying "Failed to submit Assignment. Please try again".

I opened a new case for this in the middle of January, on January 31st it was closed by BB support with status 'Closed - Future Reference' as they've confirmed it's a software bug. They're referencing a KB article '000043417' but it hasn't been made available yet.

Hope this helps.

• 11. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                            kaspars.dzerins

Sorry, forgot to mention I've come up with a workaround. It involves changing the role of the person you're trying to add as a grader when the error appears. If you change their role from whatever they have to another role, then change it back to their initial role then you can add them as a grader. Don't ask me how, it's all dark magic to me!

• 12. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                              ke26659

I will be upgrading to Q2 2016 (not ready for a SQL server upgrade just yet) prior to the start of our summer semester. I've been working on getting the upgrade setup on our test infrastructure this week so that we can begin our testing phase before the end of our current spring semester.

• 13. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                                dh35721

Here at ODU we are currently running on Q4 2015 release in a Managed Hosting environment and currently working toward an August Upgrade to the latest release and the SaaS environment.

Quite concerned about some of the issues (performance and operation) we continue to see coming out on different RSS feeds and lists with the SaaS environment.   We were originally planning on an Learn Ultra pilot this spring but had to back out of that because of the lack of B2 compatibility for items we need and functionality our faculty use.

Anyone else have SaaS on the immediate horizon or just finished??  Would love a conversation.

• 14. Re: *** Upgrade Club 2017 ***
                                  mdeeprose

Hey David, I expect you will have seen it, but sharing just in case, Kathy Saville has a brilliant blog about moving to SAAS: Our Move from Self-Hosted to Blackboard SaaS

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  1 2 3 First Previous