Do not include unavailable students' grades in Column Statistics

Idea created by dh30239 on Feb 27, 2018
    Under review
    Score0

An instructor brought to my attention that Unavailable students who have grades in the grade center will skew a column's statistics.

When a student drops a class at our institution that student is marked Unavailable in Bb Learn. The workaround is to delete those students from the course; however, deleting students is not advised because it deletes all the work that student completed in the course. In this scenario an instructor runs the risk of deleting a student's work from the grade center and it's not completely unheard of that a student will change their mind and re-enroll.

I also just learned that one department on campus uses enrollments in Bb Learn to track attrition in their courses, so they need to keep dropped students in the course set to Unavailable so they can track how many students who enrolled in the course were retained by the end of the term. In this scenario instructors interested in viewing Grade Statistics and sharing them with students need to manually delete old grades from students who drop so that the grade statistics aren't skewed.

Column statistics are found by clicking the chevron next to a column and selecting Column Statistics, they can be shared with students by toggling the "Show Statistics (average and median) for this column to Students in My Grades"  under Column Information

Please consider enhancing the Grade Center by not including Unavailable students' grades in a column's grade statistics.

Thanks,

Dan Hahn

University of Illinois

Product Version (if applicable):0