Enhancement request - Merging Student Accounts

Idea created by mb0044065 on Feb 27, 2018
    Under review
    Score0

Greetings everyone,

I know this idea is a doozy, but bare with me. I believe everyone can benefit from this feature.

Currently we have a lot of student ID duplication such as a John Doe - John A Doe which happen to be the same person. I know this is an issue of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, but it happens quite often. This creates a big issue because the administrators will decide to merge both accounts mid semester and that's when everything goes wrong for the student in Blackboard. Since each student duplication have a unique ID, Blackboard sees it as a new user, unenroll the old student and enrolls the new one. Pretty standard. However, the old account have all the grades, discussion boards, assignments, feedback, comments and tracking. Sounds familiar?

I'm proposing at the System Administrator level, to allow the admin to copy the data (grades, comments, assignments, etc) from a system disabled student into an active one. I know this is a very dangerous tool in the hands of anyone else but the Admin, so that's why I'm proposing it to be us. As a programmer, I know it can be quite tricky to do on the Database, but it can be done. You can even put a condition that the new user cannot have any grades or any type of assignments in his/her course before doing this.

This will be very useful to do, especially if a student involved in a similar situation contest a grade. If the information is not visible nor unretrievable, the student will win by default.

Product Version (if applicable):0