do not allow student access to tests whose display dates are past

Idea created by wilchv on Feb 3, 2018
    Under review
    Score0

I use the Display Date Until checkbox of the Test Options to control student access to them via the Content area.  This has worked VERY well in the past -- if they cannot see test listed in the Content area, they do not have access to it, unless of course I add them in the Test Availability Exceptions area.  However, this last semester, I had a student complete a test despite the fact that the Display Date Until date was past and I had not added him in the Test Availability Exceptions area.  He did it via the Grades area -- apparently the Blackboard app.  Per the tech support who helped me with this:

"what appears in the Grades area is submitted work/override grades. The "Chapter 11 Homework" line of Grades only appeared as soon as the override grade of 0 was entered for the student. Once that 0 was entered, it appeared in the mobile app's Global Navigation link to Grades (not the link through the course). Since there was no due date set for this test, nor the box checked for the "Do not allow students to start the Test if the due date has passed," there is a way to start an attempt through the Grades area.

When the student clicked on his overall grade from this course, he was able to see grades for assignments as well as the 0 override grade that was given. After clicking on that, the screen shows a line that says "1 Attempt Left" and then a button at the bottom of the page that says "Start Attempt 1" which, when pressed, allowed him to begin answering questions.

It seems that although the item availability was off that this was accessible through the app Global Navigation > Grades because no due date was used."

So, now what I have to do is not only set the Display Date Until date, but also the Due Date and check the "Do not allow students to start the Test if the due date has passed" checkbox.  This is extremely cumbersome!  The Display Date Until option works VERY well by itself, except the Blackboard app allows a way to circumvent this.

The Blackboard app Grades area should also consult the Display Date After/Until dates and NOT display something if it's not set to be displayed.

Product Version (if applicable):0