Continue to Bb course/URL after shibboleth authentication

Idea created by clarkshahnelson on Oct 23, 2017
    Under review
    Score0

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is specific to our institution's Shibboleth authentication, or Blackboard or what, but here goes:

Let's say an instructor is in her Bb course and has a question. She copies the URL to her course home page, which may look something like this:

https://blackboard.wherever.edu/webapps/blackboard/execute/announcement?method=search&context=course&course_id=_11975_1…

and she emails that to me.  I click on the link in my email, while not logged in to Bb at all, the following occurs :

1. I am taken to the Shibboleth authentication page " Authentication for Blackboard" - click red button 
    2. I log in with my credentials (successfully)
    3. I am taken to a page with a big red "Access Denied" sign Access Denied
      Access to this resource is prohibited. Date/time stamp.
    4. If I click "OK" in the lower right corner, I am then taken to a page with this: https://webauth.wherever.edu/idp/profile/SAML2/Redirect/SSO - a dead end.
      "
      You may be seeing this page because you used the Back button while browsing..." - whatever, this is a local institutional page.

Anyway, I have to go back and click the link again to get directly to it.  Or I would have needed to first authenticate to Bb and THEN click the link to the course from the email.

I am just wondering if there is any configuration whereby this behavior can be changed, so that after authentication, Bb will successfully continue to the link/destination that was originally clicked, without requiring the user to backtrack and re-click the link OR to authenticate to Bb first, before clicking a URL link.

Or is this a behavior that is always going to need to be tolerated due to Shibboleth/Blackboard?

Is it the fault of Shibboleth, or Blackboard, or both?

The desired functionality is that after step #2 above, I would end up in the course I originally clicked to.

Thank you!

Product Version (if applicable):0