Help link for students

Idea created by ew40089 on Jun 29, 2017
    Under review
    Score0

At our institution, we're always looking for ways to make our site easier for students to use. We aim to reduce, as much as possible, the stress of having to learn about how the LMS works on top of trying to learn about the content of their course.

I've been playing with the "user tours" which have been released as part of Moodle 3.2.3(?) and as the tours are only available to a user once (which is not useful for a user who doesn't need that information at that moment), I happened upon this thought:

What if we had a "Need Help?" link which was clearly visible and accessible on every page of the site?

This link could end up on a course page where customised tutorials and FAQ's could be found. Personally, I'd rather use the style of an automatically linked Glossary entry with a list of FAQ's and an email address for questions that are not answered in the list. We've already utilised glossary entries for instructions across our site since we only need to update the instructions in one place. The trouble is if we link the phrase "Need Help?" we would need to plonk it on a looooot of pages!

Having asynchronous and geographically scattered students, it's vital for us to provide as many "self-help" resources as possible to equip our students to get the most out of their experience (and when Monday morning rolls around, hopefully we'll have less panicked and cranky students emailing and calling us!)

Product Version (if applicable):0