Pyramid - New Content Item Accesses measure

Idea created by Ian Holder on Feb 16, 2017
    Under review
    Score0

Hi all,

Determining which content has been accessed by which students, or which content has not been accessed by which students, is one of the main requests we get from academics.  This is so that when they talk to students they can see if they have accessed a key resource, or if they have missed it, or if they spent very little time reading it.

Pyramid is a key method of us getting this information and, until today, we had thought Course Item Accesses was recording the number of times a student accessed a piece of content.  What we found out from Bb support is that there are two types of accesses: content_accesses and course_accesses.  If I understand correctly, course_accesses occur when a piece of content is loaded on the page -- so if you had a content folder A with 5 Blank Pages 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, accessing A would result in course_accesses to 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 -- even though the student has not read them -- and only when the student clicked on 1 would a content_access be recorded for 1.  [if I am mistaken here let me know]

We found out today that Course Item Accesses is summing course_accesses, not content_accesses.  With all due respect, this makes, in our mind, the figures rather meaningless for us.  If I am currently told Blank Page 1 has 20 accesses by 5 students, I do not know if those students actually accessed Blank Page 1 or if they just accessed content folder A 20 times and never clicked Blank Page 1.

Would Blackboard consider adding a Content Item Accesses measure to the Pyramid cubes so we could get a true reflection of what students are actually accessing?

If you have any questions or would like more information just let me know.  Thanks for allowing all these ideas, and sorry I am raising so many of them!  It is only as analytics is so useful to our university that we raise these ideas to give us the data we need.

I am interested in all members' thoughts on this.  Do you use accesses to content in your institution?  Are we missing something with course_accesses that can prove useful to our analysis?

Ian.

Product Version (if applicable):