As a lot of institutions are transitioning to SaaS, and testing their building blocks, I also see here and there references to alternatives and LTI versions of B2 (Building Blocks), so I thought I'd try to gather what I find as well as encourage the community to contribute to this document by reporting on their own tests.
As a reminder :
- You'll find here Dropbox - BBLearn - Summary table about the use of b2 and LTI (1).docx a guideline of what to expect regarding your B2s and whether they'll work in SaaS
- You'll find here guidelines to make your B2 compatible Preparing Your Building Blocks For Learn SaaS and Newer Learn Versions as well as the short webinar Preparing Your Custom B2 for the SaaS Deployment of Blackboard Learn
- Generally speaking :
- B2s developped by Blackboard or by Blackboard consulting will work or will be fixed if needed by Blackboard
- B2s developped by third party (Turnit in, Pearson, etc ....) : you should get in touch with them to make sure they fix their B2 if needed, so it's compatible with SaaS
- B2s developped in-house : you'll have to test and fix it yourself, using guidelines above and possibly with the help of the community (Developer group). Or you may ask Bb Consulting to quote what if would take for them to fix it for you.
- B2s developped by other institutions : you should get in touch with them. If they're in SaaS, chances are they've made the B2 compatible. If they're not in SaaS yet, getting it compatible will depend on their ressources and/or willingness to collaborate on the dev
- Please contribute to this document by editing it.
- This is to be used as a guidelines, it by no means guarantees compatibility or Bb endorsement of B2s listed here : you still do have to test all your B2 during the migration process.
|Name||Developed by||Ok in SaaS 9.1||Ok in SaaS Ultra nav & 9.1 Course||Ok in SaaS Ultra nav & Ultra course||Ok in SaaS admin side||Alternative ?||Tested by||Date||Comments and reference|
|Y||Y||Y||Y||Szymon Machajewski and Jeff Kelley|
Fixed by Szymon, Github link is the fixed version
Upcoming features: Bb mobile stats, active/inactive course graphs in historical view
|SignUp List||Durham University||N||N||N||n/a||Yes : LTI version GitHub - blackboard/BBDN-SignUp-List: This project is the migration from the Durham SignUp List tool to an LTI Tool Prov…||Scott Hurrey|
All the Ducks
|Impersonate||USF||N||n/a||n/a||N||Impersonate B2 with SaaS|
|Open Photo Roster||Y||Y||Y*||Y|
The Open Photo Roster is a B2, which is providing a course roster made of Blackboard Avatar pictures and Gravatar pictures out of the box. Advanced feature of Photo IDs from the campus id system is also available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Y* The Saas Ultra Course requires LTI configuration available from email@example.com.
What's new in the photo roster:
|AppServerID||GitHub - OSCELOT/AppServerID: The system provides information about the current application server. In a load balanced e…||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Y||Y||N||Y||Bb Admins via Bb Community since UNM is Self Hosted|
My Messages may work with SaaS, but UNM is not maintaining My Messages with SaaS due to limited UNM resources.
|Qwickly: Multi-Course Tools|
|Y||Y||N||Y||Qwickly Inc and many deployed clients||Aug 22 2018||At this time, Qwickly multi-course tools work fine in SaaS, Learn Original experience, but no alternative to modules in Ultra.|
|Y||Y||N||Y||Qwickly Attendance LTI is available and now recommended.||Qwickly Inc and many deployed clients||Aug 22 2018||Qwickly Attendance cannot be deployed in the course navigation in Ultra due to lack of placement option.|
|Y||Y||N||Y||Qwickly Inc||Aug 22 2018||Qwickly Jot LTI is planned for release during the next 9 months.|
Login As Another User
|Y||Y||Y||Y||Impersonate B2.||Szymon Machajewski||8/28||GitHub - OSCELOT/LoginAs: This building block allows the administrator to create a valid session as a different user. Fo…|