Terms

Version 2

Hi

We have recently introduced Terms to our courses and were wondering if it is possible to set all users' course lists to be grouped by terms?   That is, make all users have their course list set to group by term, with the expanded term de-selected.

Essentially, for all staff & students, especially those about to start in a few weeks time:

1. Login to Blackboard

2. Personalise My Courses - Click the cog in the top right of the module.

3. Group By Term.

We would like all users to have this as a default WITH Expand Term de-selected.

We are hosted and have asked Blackboard but they don't see a way to do this.

However, I'm sure there's a way and hope that this community may come up with a way of doing this - other than logging in as 40,000 students and ticking boxes (yes, I have thought of this!?).

Yours, hopefully,

David

Hi David,

This has been a requested feature by many clients in the past, however it is currently not possible to administrate this at the System Admin Level unfortunately. I would suggest submitting an Enhancement Request for this feature to add your voice to the request for sure a feature as I concur that this would be very nice for users that may have large number of courses per term.

Blackboard Feedback | Learn Product Suggestion Box

Hi David,

It is possible. I don't expect this solution to be supported by Blackboard, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't work. I've done similar things before we went to Managed Hosting.

Essentially this would require direct access to database. Blackboard advise against making changes in the database directly and for a good reason, as the saying goes 'a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing'. It's not difficult to break things in spectacular ways by making direct changes to database, for example by trying to reorder menu items in a course by changing the order stored in the database. So, please test everything very carefully and make a change for a single user before you try and do it for all staff and students. Also, please make sure you confirm the exact values with Blackboard and listen to them providing a similar admonishment

With all that out of the way - when you make a permanent change to your preferences, such as grouping items by terms this gets recorded in the database. So, once you identify the specific table and field value which is changed when user makes the change to the display preferences, all you need to do is to change this value from 0 to 1 for all the user records you wish to update. As I don't have direct access to database anymore unfortunately I can't tell you exactly which table to look at. Let's hope Blackboard can help, as can other self-hosted users.

Hope this helps (and I don't get shot at dawn for suggesting unsupported solutions).

Regards,

Kaspars

It isn't that simple, it isn't a simple 1 or 0.

All the preferences for the My Courses module (not just terms) is held in an XML Blob in the portal_extra_info table. You wouldneed to read out the XML, modify the value and then write it back

very risky and something we decided not to do

Thanks, Dave - that's very useful to know. We're planning on switching terms on in near future and I assumed it was a simple change in a field. Thanks for explaining the XML situation, it looks like we'll need to rely on users making the change themselves.

Kaspars

We've used terms for a few years, and this has always been an irritation for us. We requested this a few years ago too.

Our workaround has been as simple as a message module located above the course list on the home tab which tells users they can group by term, and gives them a link to a help page. We put it up for the first few weeks of each semester.

Capture.PNG

Wow - what an excellent response from the community.

I like Kaspar's suggestion - and bravery for suggesting it!  Too dangerous for us though.  Perhaps just Kaspar mooting the idea here may encourage Blackboard to move this request up the priority list? (Hint, Huy?).

Dave's took the words out of my mouth, and for Danny coming up with a way forward that we'll probably go with, hence I marked as 'Correct' - though I'd prefer all contributions to be correct.

Also - Danny noted that he made the enhancement request a while back.

I've just made our enhancement request and would encourage others to do the same, Via:

https://www.blackboard.com/contact-us/suggest-product-enhancements/for-learn.aspx

(thanks to Huy for the link).

Text of our request below.

Very kindest regards

David

===

Hi

We have recently introduced Terms to our courses and would like to set all users' course lists to be grouped by terms - that is, make all users have their course list set to group by term, with the expanded term de-selected.

Essentially, for all staff & students, especially those about to start in a few weeks time:

1. Login to Blackboard

2. Personalise My Courses - Click the cog in the top right of the module.

3. Group By Term.

We would like all users to have this as a default WITH Expand Term de-selected.

I note that other have previously requested this enhancement as detailed on the thread:

https://community.blackboard.com/thread/2700

Very kindest regards,

===

Hi David,

In addition to posting the enhancement request through the link you shared, you may use the community site to post an "idea" , and then people can come and comment/support this idea and it may also be opened to be voted on by the Product team. You'll see in the "ideas" space that the Product team is around and pays attention to user feedback and ideas there.

You can even do lobbying in this thread here so people go on the page for your "idea" and support it

Hi Yolene

Thanks - I've created the idea - if it gets approved I'll post back here to ask for support.

Many thanks, David

This document was generated from the following discussion: Terms