What's in the Box?
The Blackboard developer portal is located at https://developer.blackboard.com. There, you can:
Sign up for a Developer Account
Blackboard Learn integrations begin at the Developer Portal. This is where you register applications and get an application ID, key/secrets, and other vital information. In the portal, you can see which client systems are using the integrations. Signing up is free, and you can develop your integration at no cost. There may be cost involved in deploying your integration, but before that happens, you'll speak with us and we'll provide further guidance. To discuss deploying your application, please contact the developer experience team at email@example.com.
You don't have to register right away, but before you can authenticate your project so it works with Blackboard applications, you will need to be registered.
To register as a Blackboard developer:
- Go to https://developer.blackboard.com/ and select Sign Up. Read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Provide your email address, a password, your first name and last, and select the checkbox to prove you are human.
- Select Create Account and you're on your way.
Read API Reference Documentation
Register a REST Application or an LTI Tool
Before you can release an application or tool to the Blackboard ecosystem, you must first register as a Blackboard developer by creating a developer account. To register as a blackboard developer, see Sign up for a Developer Account above.
To register an application or LTI tool:
- Select Register below the heading "Register and Manage Your Applications".
If you do not already have any registered applications, you will see a screen like the one shown below.If you do not already have any applications registered, select Register.
Otherwise you will see a list of your registered applications. Select the + button to register a new one.
- By default, the first available development group is named after the user creating the app. You can change this later. The following fields are required:
- for REST applications, provide only a Name and Description for your application and select a Group to work on the project.
- for LTI 1.1 tools, provide Name, Description, Domain(s), and Group.
- for LTI 1.3 tools, complete all fields.
- Select Save. Learn displays your application's name and description to Learn administrators when they connect your application to their system. This helps them make sure they have found the intended application.
- Write down or copy-and-paste the Application Key and Secret and other information that you are provided. Your application needs this key and secret to authenticate with Blackboard Learn. Blackboard does not keep any record of these properties. If you lose them, Blackboard cannot help you restore them.
- Select Continue.
Delete an application
When you login after having created applications, you will see them listed under My Applications.To delete an application:
- Mouse over the its record in the Your Applications list. A delete icon appears.
- Confirm your choice by selecting Delete Application. The application is removed from your list of applications and is no longer registered to the Blackboard cloud.