A B.Y.T.E. of Blackboard

Version 1

Many elementary educators consider Blackboard a more appropriate instructional tool for secondary and post-secondary learners.  As a fourth grade teacher, I have implemented a blended learning environment utilizing Blackboard as my main digital platform. The mission of my B.Y.T.E. program (Broadening Your Technology Experience) is to infuse digital literacy skills across all content areas while closing the digital divide between home and school. The availability and ease of access Blackboard provides has allowed my students to participate in a flipped classroom content as well as access instructional materials and activities from other content areas.  In addition, Blackboard’s digital discussion tools give young learners a much needed opportunity to practice 21st century literacy skills while developing their digital citizenship awareness.  By interweaving Blackboard into my instructional day I am preparing my elementary students to be successful digital learners in the global community in which they live and interact in.