Are Your Courses Exemplary?
What does it take to create an engaging, effective course? The Exemplary Course Program, with its peer and expert review processes, can provide valuable insights. In this course, you have the opportunity to learn more and participate in course review processes.
The Blackboard Exemplary Course Program (ECP) began in 2000 with the goal of identifying and disseminating best practices for designing high quality courses. The core of the program is the ECP Rubric, which defines key characteristics of high quality courses within the framework of Course Design, Interaction and Collaboration, Assessment, and Learner Support. It was developed by leaders in instructional design, based on 100+ years of their collective practice and expertise. The rubric has been reviewed and updated annually by experts who do a survey of the current literature and base changes on the evolving field of best practices. Thousands of instructors, teachers, and designers have used the Exemplary Course Program to evaluate and improve their courses with recognized best practices.
Benefits of Participating in the Exemplary Course Program
Through the Exemplary Course Program, you will have the opportunity to:
- Reflect on your own course design through self-review of your course
- Complete course design professional development via an asynchronous online course
- Gain new perspectives and insights on your course through a structured review process
- Receive detailed feedback on your course, including best practices and areas for improvement through our peer review and achievement review processes
- Apply lessons learned from the program and the ECP rubric to courses you develop
- Learn from and network with your peers
Course Review Process
All members of the Blackboard community are welcome to use the ECP processes for review of Blackboard Learn or Moodle courses.
You can choose various types of review:
- Self Review – You evaluate your own course with the ECP rubric.
- Peer Review – A peer volunteers to review your course with the ECP rubric.
- Achievement Review – An ECP expert evaluates your course with the ECP rubric and you will receive certification if your course achieves an exemplary status.
- Professional Services -- Blackboard offers professional services for reviewing and developing quality courses.
For more information about each of these types of review, see the menu items.
Volunteer to Review Courses
Consider becoming a volunteer course reviewer to:
- Explore in-depth a variety of courses
- Get inspiration for your own courses
- Apply lessons learned from the Exemplary Course Program Rubric to courses you develop
- Share your knowledge and experience by providing feedback on others' course designs
Sign up here: https://app.wizehive.com/webform/ecpeviewerform