"I would argue that change is the biggest challenge for institutions. While higher education has been generally resistant to change, it is surprising to me to see the rapid growth in the number of institutions that are now moving toward competency-based education." - Dr. Karen Yoshino
Is your institution implementing a Competency-Based Education (CBE) program?
If so, here's a great article that features an interview with Blackboard's Dr. Karen Yoshino, one of our principal strategists and an expert of CBE.
Here are a few key topics covered in the article:
- How CBE touches more than just the academic side of the institution - it changes the practices across the entire institution. It's a game changer.
- Understanding what areas need to be considered: planning, defining competencies, developing courses, assessment alignment, etc.
- Gathering the correct people on the team to work through the process
- Creating a strategic plan
- Avoiding pitfalls and mistakes
- Realizing many benefits
- And much more!
So, grab a cup of coffee, take a 15-minute break, and read through the article. You'll learn some great things!