Had a case come in with several questions about the LTI Placement Options. There's certainly many options so I've written this Blog Post in Q& A format for future reference. The definitive documentation is on https://help.blackboard.com Cheers!
When creating a LTI TP, what does 'Allow Membership Service Access' mean?
- It allows one to enable names and roles for the integration. Q2 2018 (3400.0.0) included the LTI Names and Roles Provisioning service.
See https://www.imsglobal.org/specs/ltimemv1p0 for the specification.
It appears that once an LTI TP & associated placement is created, and the placement 'Availability' is set to 'Yes', course builders and instructors can access the LTP TP placement _in any course_. Is there a way to make the LTI TP / Placements only show up [for instructors] for a specific course?
- No there is not.
What is the purpose of the LTI TP > Placement > Handle? Does it affect how the LTI 1.0 link is stored in Bb?
- It's a unique handle that you define for your placement. If there's a collision you'll be informed when submitting the form. The handle was useful for Java B2 developers and may be useful with our REST API implementation for managing LTI placements.
What's the difference between a Course Content Tool (no deep linking), and a Course Tool?
- A Course Content Tool can only be placed on a Course Content page. The tool can be used by a student to access TP content. A Course Tool is really meant for the instructor only. However, one can make it available to students, resulting in some very awkward behaviors. If you make a placement a Course Tool, and make it available to both instructors and students, then it will only be available to include as a Tool Link, and will not appear in the Course Tools section of a course. However, if the placement is available only to instructors, then it will appear in the Course Tools drop down. If you want the placement to appear both as in the 'Course Tools' drop-down list and as a Tool Link choice then only make it available to instructors.
How do you make the LTI TP 'Course Tool' placement display in the left-hand nav menu under 'Course Tools'?
- Use the near the upper right of the left-hand nav, select Tool Link, the Type drop-down will have the Course Tool placement you created.
Where does the LTI TP 'System Tool' placement get displayed?
- See https://help.blackboard.com/Learn/Administrator/SaaS/Integrations/Learning_Tools_Interoperability
A System tool can be opened without accessing a course. In the Original experience, the tool appears in the Tools menu of the My Institution tab. In the Ultra experience, the tool appears in the Tools base navigation section.
You can also place a System Tool in an Institution Page module.
Where does the LTI TP 'Administrator Tool' placement get displayed?
- On the System Admin page, in the Tools and Utilities section.